Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I Made My Husband Cry This Morning...EDITED IN RED

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 320 Replies
3 moms liked this

We had an argument because he wants to send MORE money to his children than what we already have this month. They are 16 and 18 and live with their mother several states away. The 18 year old starts college this month. Though not court ordered, we pay for all their needs beyond food and shelter (summer camps, prom dresses, car insurance, dental, health premiums, school lunches, gas for their cars, allowance money, all electronics & accessories, back to school clothing and supplies, etc.) in addition to many of the oldest's college expenses. It's never enough. No matter what we give them, he always wants to give more. It's to the point we have very little savings, are no longer contributing what we used to for retirement, and have nearly 10K in credit card debt just so we can send every extra penny their way.

I made the statement that he had "failed." I honestly can't even remember what it was I said he failed at. But it was one specific thing and instead he left crying saying it was nice going off to work having been told he was a failure. I feel horrible but stand by my argument that we need to take care of our own financial needs instead of him being the absent Disneyland dad who gives them money whenever they cry "Daaaaadddddyyyyyyy!"

EDITED TO ADD:

We just handed the oldest $14,000.00 in June for college. This money is now sitting in an account ready to be accessed by her as needed. Neither she nor the youngest has ASKED for any money lately. DH just wants to arbitrarily send it, which is what we had the argument about. We need to be applying money toward our debt instead of sending it for no reason.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:02 AM
8 moms liked this
You sound bitchish
la-cosa-nostra
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM
8 moms liked this

ugh, i hate women like this. you have a man who takes care of his kids and you are mad about it? get over yourself. how much are you saving for retirement? if you cant deal with how he wants to spend his money, leave him. 

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM
6 moms liked this

Try counseling.  You aren't on the same page here, and you need to learn how to compromise.  You should make your credit card debt your first priority.

activitymode
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:05 AM
3 moms liked this
they are HIS children, not your retirement fund. you married him knowing he had kids. you sound bitter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beautiful31mom
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:05 AM

wow just wow.

anjones09
by Ash on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM
61 moms liked this
I think it's wonderful that he wants to help them out any way he can, but he shouldn't put you into financial ruin because of it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM
4 moms liked this

He sounds like a great man to me. Dont marry a man with kids if you cant handle stuff like this.

suzyma14
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM

BUMP!

randomosityblog
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM
58 moms liked this

They are 16 and 18, they should be paying their own car insurance, putting gas in their own cars, and they don't need allowance. Ridiculous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM
8 moms liked this

While it is wonderful that he wants to care for them, saying no to them on occasion will be ok. Sounds like they are old enough to learn that daddy cannot buy them everything they want constantly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)