Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Very frustrated...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

DD6 has literally been cleaning her room for 2 days. Her room is small, it isn't even that messy. She stuffs things under her bed and in her closet. We have done everything to help her that we feel we should, but I feel SHE should be responsible for cleaning her room. I put 2 bins and a trash can in her room after yesterday and told her to put all of her clothes in one bin, all of her toys in the other bin, trash in the trash can, books on the shelf, and shoes in the closet. Afterwards I would go in and help her sort through the bins. Everytime I go in her room she is either looking through a book or playing barbies. She has already lost all TV and computer privilages for 2 weeks for sneaking out of her room repeatedly to watch TV or turning her TV on,  but muting it so we couldn't hear it after several warnings. DH gets home from work and that is her deadline. We told her last night and I have repeatedly told her today that when Daddy gets home if the room is not done then we are taking everything but her bed and dresser out. I have helped and gave her warnings out the wazoo, but her room is barely touched and DH gets home in an hour and a half. She was in there from noon yesterday until she went to bed only getting out to eat, go potty, and brush her teeth for bed. Same with today she has been in there since 7:00 this morning and only getting out for the same reasons....

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Set a timer. When it beeps, she needs to be done or have made serious progress, or else, consequence.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

how old is she? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM

6, she will be 7 in a few months.

Quoting Anonymous:

how old is she? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM

She needs more supervision. Instead of walking off to do your own thing while she's in there by herself, stand in the doorway and make sure she's working.

momoftwobugs
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Oh how I know this story. My daughter is the same way. I have found that unless i sit in there on the bed and keep her on task it can go on for days. We even took everything out and it still didnt help. Then it would be clothes and shoes that weren't picked up. Now what I do is make her start on her room. I give her a little while to do it on her own and then I go in and sit on her bed and direct. I do not do it for her but I do give direction. After she gets going good with direction I will then give an instruction and leave the room. It has taken some time but now I can give directions and not have to sit in there as long and things are getting done. I think some kids just get overwhelmed or just dont care about things being a mess. It drives me crazy!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM

at this age- for some, you still have to go in and help get them started. lol i just did my gf's son( he is 7). that room was a mess. i sent him to get a hamper, and some trash bags.  i stayed in the room with him. told him to get all the clothes that were all over,throw them in the hamper( btw the way he filled two and half). i was picking up books, then i told him to pick up his legos(and yes i had to keep redirecting him, as he would quit, go out , watch the tv- i would just bring him back to the room). we threw three bags of trash out. i told him that if i had to start picking everything up that was in the floor, closet,ect- it was all going in the trash. in hr and half the room was done, beds made with fresh sheets, and vacuumed

Quoting Anonymous:

6, she will be 7 in a few months.

Quoting Anonymous:

how old is she? 

deenakate
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM

You need to be helping her stay on track, vs walking away and leaving her to it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I am thinking this is what I am going to have to do. I check of her often and we gave her bins to throw stuff in, but she gets distracted when I leave the room.

Quoting momoftwobugs:

Oh how I know this story. My daughter is the same way. I have found that unless i sit in there on the bed and keep her on task it can go on for days. We even took everything out and it still didnt help. Then it would be clothes and shoes that weren't picked up. Now what I do is make her start on her room. I give her a little while to do it on her own and then I go in and sit on her bed and direct. I do not do it for her but I do give direction. After she gets going good with direction I will then give an instruction and leave the room. It has taken some time but now I can give directions and not have to sit in there as long and things are getting done. I think some kids just get overwhelmed or just dont care about things being a mess. It drives me crazy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)