Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

There needs to be something done about adoptive parents breaking an open adoption agreement.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The only way it should be able to get changed is by all parties agreeing to it or court order. If the adoptive parents break the agreement they should be held in contempt of court and face penalties.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Parents are warned before placing their children that this is a possibility. the reason being that if the relationship isnt healthy the adoptive parents legally need to be allowed to do something to protect their families.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM

really?

alot of people would disagree with this

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe and from experience open adoptions are much better for the kids.
Quoting silverdawn99:

i think there should be no open adoption

once you sign that dotted line its their child not yours

catrig
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM
I agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jscott1216
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM
3 moms liked this
And what if it upset the child to still be in contact? Shouldn't the child's interests be out before your wants?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm currently doing adoption and i as the bm would be extremely pissed if they didn't follow the open adoption that i choose

Wicked.Jester
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM
8 moms liked this

This sums it up.  There could be 1000 reasons why an adoptive family believes it is no longer in the best interest of THEIR child, and it is THEIR child, to continue to have visitation.

And as the parents of that child, they should have every right to do what they feel is best.

If the bio mother is some crazy crackhead or is nothing but a bad influence, they absolutely should have the right to change the agreement.

If you want access to your child, PARENT THEM.  Adoptive parents are not there as a convenience to you to live your life childless but then still see that child whenever you like.

Quoting anotherhalf:

I think adoptive parents should be able to go back on the agreement especially if they believe it is no longer in the best interest of THEIR child. No one should have right to see my child against my wishes.

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I hope you're not generalizing, because sometimes open adoptions can be harmful to a child. An open adoption agreement allowed my bio mom to find out where my brother works, show up at his job and spring it on him that she's his mom DURING WORK, and then called 2 days later (again while he was working) to dig up traumatizing old memories.

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe and from experience open adoptions are much better for the kids.

Quoting silverdawn99:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Quoting silverdawn99:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Read the whole OP. I said unless court ordered. That mean you go to court and have them terminate the agreement.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

And what about seriously toxic bio parents. My bio mom is severely mentally unstable, and I wish my adoptive parents had cut contact with her.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know the law works that way but something should be done about it.

Quoting xixCandyxix:

Unfortunately, that's not the way the laws work. The adopting couple can close it at any time. Not saying I agree with it, but the laws don't work the way you think they do. Yes, I think they should be enforced to stick to the original agreement though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Our condition was she had to get clean if she wanted a relationship with the child. She didn't, so we broke the agreement and made it a closed adoption. She's dead now because she thought drugs were more important. I don't regret closing the adoption
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM
No, i think they are parents. but if bm choose to do an open adoption. she should be allowed to remain in contact with the child.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

You think adoptive parents are babysitters?

Quoting Anonymous:

I disagree with both of you

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

I agree.  Adoptive parents are not babysitters.

Quoting silverdawn99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)