Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

** MORE PICS!!** My apt is furnished by free, curbside furniture and yard sale decor :)

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM
  • 187 Replies
7 moms liked this

We were without our own home for 11 months last year, and most of our furniture was ruined during that time. My husband finally was approved for disability, and we moved into our apartment with next to nothing. Our income is extremely limited (just over $1200 per month). 

I'm pleased to report that aside from our bed, the apartment is almost completely furnished! I've gotten a wood file cabinet, couch, bookshelf, 5 tier corner shelf, 2 end tables, 2 gold lamps, dining room table (pride and joy! from CL for $40!) annnd my newest edition a HUGE, square coffee table with a bottom shelf. Mostly everything was free, it all matches, and my apartment looks freakin' awesome! 

Just wanted to brag...I'll post pictures later :) 

**EDIT** Sorry ya'll! I've had children and their friends over for days straight, so I didn't get the time to post!

I love these tin containers! I found them at a yard sale for 25 cents. Not quite sure what I'm going to do with them, but they're kinda retro. The Barnum Animal Cracker tin is from 1979, and the Aunt Jemina one is from 1983 :) The teacups are also from a yard sale. 

This shelf was a curbside dump find :) The Peace / Joy decorations came from a yard sale. They were orignally those weird, picture holders and included a 'Noel'. I probably got all 3 for just over a buck. The candle holders, on top, look kinda funny there but I have no spot for them. They were free yardsale leftovers. The vase on the bottom is from Family Dollar, but the two on top came from a yard sale for about $1 a piece. The knicknack came from my grandma, and probably dates back to at least the late 70s, early 80s.

I looove my table, but it's a little too big for our apartment "dining room", and it's a huge pain in the ass. I paid $40 for it off Craigslist. The dog thing was left in an old house we lived in. Even the apples were free! lol My daughter and her friend pick them off their apple tree. 

The laptop was free, because I fixed it. My grandparents thought the hard drive failed and bought a new one. The brass lamps were free. I really don't care for them as is, and this one was just set in my desk area. My desk is usually just a huge mess, but I did clean it after the pic :) The guitar was free from a storage unit my SO's mom bought. The desk came from the nursing home I work at. A resident left, and my supervisor didn't want to deal with the desk. Speakers were $1 from a yard sale. We watch tons of movies and Amazon Prime on the laptop, but the built in speakers just suck. 

The file cabinet and chair were both curbside dump finds. The file cabinet is wood, and the chair is pretty comfy, but super heavy. It also spins. 

I'll add more of my couch, my sucky "entertainment center" / lizard home, and the coolest coffee table ever when my phone charges!

**MORE PICS** Sorry for the darkness...my lamps need light bulbs or my cell phone needs an upgrade! lmao. No luck finding those in the dump :-(

Kinda messy at the moment...but this huge coffee table is one of my favorite things we own right now! It's the perfect height for the kids' to do homework on and whatever else they want to do. Couch was given to me by my uncle when they upgraded. Table was left in our upstairs apartment hallway after our neighbors moved and just covered in dust. End table was from a curb. 

Oh, don't mind my son and hubby sword fighting behind the couch. 

Not really feeling the set-up, but hubby likes to decorate and move things around too. O.o This picture doesn't the lotus candle holder and the middle vase justice. Bottom is my hubby's father's urn and was picked out and bought. It cost hundreds, brand new, but come to find out it can be bought online for less than $50. 

Table $5, Elephants were $2 for both. Black candle holder was $1. Again, this was hubby's arrangement. He thinks we have themes for different rooms. lol. 

Perfect white bookcase I found curbside. It's eventually going into my son's room, but for now it's in a hallway. The shelf, filing cabinet, the free end table and dining room shelf all come from the same house. 

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM
But I want pictures now!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Yes please share pics!
jarkrt
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Bumping for a place to see the pictures later.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

pics!!

SJG1013
by SJG on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Bump for pictures later.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Pics!!

Good job!
beethann
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM

That's awesome! I would love to see pics!

smurfbitebug
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
That is awesome that you were resourceful and pulled it all together in spite of your circumstances. I can't wait to see the pics.
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM
glad you're getting back on your feet
brittney28
by Brittney on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Pics
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured