Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EDIT: If you own a gun for protection purposes and have kids...

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM
  • 153 Replies

I have a question for you. Wouldn't "childproofing" (for lack of a better word) your gun also make it inaccessible to you in the event you need it to protect yourself? And if it does, what is the point of having it? I'm not trying to start a gun debate, I've always just honestly wondered this. When that woman from NJ was attacked in her home and beat up in front of her kid, a lot of people were saying things like "this is why you need a gun in your house" and what not. But I don't think it would have helped her even if she did, because she wouldn't have been able to get it anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the only way to have it readily accessible for self-defense purposes would be to have it loaded and stored someplace where it's easy to get if needed, in which case how to you keep your kids from getting it and having an accident? Again, I'm NOT trying to start a gun debate, I'm simply asking to be educated on how that all works. I'm strictly talking about having a gun for self-defense reasons, if you have one to hunt or for sport or whatever then this doesn't really apply to you.

Thanks for all the responses ladies!

One of the comments posted this: http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/cirp-gun-safety

And I have to say even I was shocked by the 'myths' section and I don't even have a gun. I was surprised by the number of posters with small children who keep their guns loaded and unlocked around the house. Honestly, that seems like an accident waiting to happen to me, but to each her own.

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Foleygirl24
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM

BUMP!

danie24
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM
4 moms liked this
No.

It takes me 3 seconds to unlock my gun safe and load.

We also have a German Shepherd guard dog.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM

We have our gun unloaded in the drawer next to our bed, the mag is in one of the books that have the middle hollowed out.   On top of that my we have taught our son the proper way to use a gun, he knows its not a toy and he would never touch one without our permisson. 

Foleygirl24
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

What did you do before he was old enough to understand all of that?

Quoting Anonymous:

We have our gun unloaded in the drawer next to our bed, the mag is in one of the books that have the middle hollowed out.   On top of that my we have taught our son the proper way to use a gun, he knows its not a toy and he would never touch one without our permisson. 

Foleygirl24
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM

But what if you can't get to your gun safe? What then? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm honestly just curious.

Quoting danie24:

No.

It takes me 3 seconds to unlock my gun safe and load.

We also have a German Shepherd guard dog.

allmy3girls
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM

my husband hunts in the winter months out of state, he has a few rifles, and they are in a locked case wain the basement out of view from our daughters, in our bedroom, he had make a box in our headboard easy to not even notice there is where we keep the hand gun, I am not that experienced to use it but if I had to I would, only he and I know where this is and if a burgular broke into my home even he would miss the spot where the gun is kept., I dont really care for them but I have one in case need be  away and out of sight of our children..

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM
7 moms liked this

its called a biometric safe takes about  seconds to open it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM

We didnt have a gun in our  house. We lived on a military base and we werent allowed to have hand guns inside the home.  

Quoting Foleygirl24:

What did you do before he was old enough to understand all of that?

Quoting Anonymous:

finnbar
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
You may not always be able to get to your hidden gun but a large number of home break in victims actually do. If I am inside my house with all doors bolted nobody is going to sneak up on me. Can they kick a door in and gain entrance? Absolutely! Will I hear the commotion and race to slap a clip in? You better believe it!
cfcf
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM
4 moms liked this
Id rather have a gun and not be able to access it, than to not have a gun in a situation I could have gotten to it.

The way I figure, sometimes you're just fucked. But if you have a gun and can access it you'll be glad you got it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)