Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We Are Now One of THOSE Families

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 572 Replies
15 moms liked this

I've been a stay at home mom for two years now.  Life was going along swimmingly.  We had health insurance, a bi-weekly pay check, and a tiny (and I mean tiny) bit in savings. 

Well, today my husband lost his job.

At the end of the month we loose our fantastic health insurance unless we want to bleed ourselves dry for Cobra.  We have a house payment and two car payments but we will have to loose one.  My sons health insurance will have to come from the state.  We are also going to see if we qualify for food stamps to help the unemployment dollar stretch a bit.

So now I know when I come to MC that I will be judged sigh.

What you won't know since all you will hear is *food stamps* and *state insurance* is that my husband immediately came home and applied for unemployement benefits but can't file his first claim until September 1st.  You also won't know that he applied to at least 2 dozen positions and out of those lined up 2 interviews for full time employment-one that pays what he made now and will increase by 1.50 in 90 days.  You also won't know that he applied for a part time job and as a result has an interview lined up for that as well.

*food stamps* *state insurance*  abusing the system!!!

You also won't know that I have sent out my resume that now has a gap of two years of employment because it was important to us that I be home with our son.  No, instead you will judge me when I ask how medicaid and food stamps work and how long it takes to get them. 

If you had said to me yesterday that by 10:30 this morning my world would crash down around me I'd have not believed you.  I also wouldn't believe you if you said I'd be "one of those families"  who may have to rely on WIC, Food Stamps, and medicaid so my son has food in his belly and his well baby visits on time.

Judge away.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM
132 moms liked this
I'm sorry. Those programs are in place for people in situations like yours. Who cares what anybody, especially Internet strangers, think or say.

JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM
6 moms liked this
Oh Mamma, our family has been there! It will be okay. Those programs are designed to help you get back on your feet. Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:47 PM
3 moms liked this

This says it all

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry. Those programs are in place for people in situations like yours. Who cares what anybody, especially Internet strangers, think or say.

AF_Petite
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Don't worry about the negativity that will be thrown your way. You're going through a tough time and those programs are there to help those that need it and you def need it! I hope everything works out for you, momma! Best of luck!
countrybumkin79
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Don't worry about being judged. Every day every one is judged. All for different things. Do what you have to for your family and put blinders on so you don't see the ugly side of some people.
qkristen5468
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM
I'm so sorry hun! What was the job your husband lost?!?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I hope he is able to get a job quickly- I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Newfie_Mom
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM
7 moms liked this
Some of the judgmental ones down on everyone on them but most people are judging and bashing the ones who abuse it. For example using your food stamps to buy your family food = okay trading your food stamps with someone for cash so you can buy a purse and a bottle of wine = you getting bashed
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm so sorry for your situation hun. I've been there, in fact, I'm still there. I lost a pretty good job at the beginning of the year. Went on unemployment, and BARELY qualified for food stamps. The tax return that we planned on using to get a car had to be spent on bills that were piling up. I'm looking my ass off for work, but the job market in my city is shit, and with no transportation, my options are limited. I got hired at Wal-Mart, only to find out a week later that they had hired "too many people" and had to put me on a list to start if anything opened up. It sucks, and don't you feel one bit bad for using the help that is being offered until your family gets back on their feet.

Good luck to your husband with the interviews. Maybe he'll be back to work before you even have a chance to fill out that food stamp application.
la-cosa-nostra
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM
13 moms liked this

I'm not judging you. I just ask that you please don't judge yourself so harshly! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)