Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it unreasonable of me *peanut related*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
Since the holidays are rapidly approaching...

Would it be unreasonable of me to ask my family not to prepare anything with nuts in it, since dd is allergic? We are hosting thanksgiving at our house, and I am for sure going to ask them not to at our house...but what about for the other places that we go...or at least label it as having nuts?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanyainmizzou
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM

It is unreasonable to say no nuts at someone else's house.   Just ask how it is prepared or bring a meal for your daughter.

ethanlogan13
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Here we go!
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Depends on the severity of her allergy. If its a matter of she has to consume it, I would just ask before hand what was made with what and possibly bring an alternate sealed meal for her to eat. If she can't be around it at all, then I would tell them that due to her allergy, she either can't come or there can be no peanuts, their choice.

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM
2 moms liked this
For family, no. They should be more than willing to accommodate the allergy.
My uncle was allergic to almonds. So I didn't use ANY nuts anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
I have a nut allergy and my family either omits the nuts, puts them in a dish on the side (for example in a salad), or tells me before we eat. They've all seen me have reactions when I was young so they are very cautious.
TaughtTot
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I"d say it's your responsibility to ask if anything has nuts, it'd be unreasonable to ask people to completely alter their menus or traditional dishes.  I have friends who bring extra food for their kids just in case, and I think thats a good habit to start because expecting for people to avoid your allergy isn't a reasonable expectations.  Its good to learn young to adjust for yourself if you have allergies.

ElitestJen
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I think labeling is a good idea.  It's a little difficult to demand what other people are bringing to other peoples' houses.

HistoryMamaX3
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Asking people to Lable is NOT an inconvenience. People should be willing to do that at the risk of injury to another.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Yes. They are aware of her allergy and can choose to make things with or without nuts. You should bring your own food for her. It is your job and her job to keep her safe, not everyone else's.

Further, even if they make things 'nut free', you cannot know if they've gone to the standard you need. Did they check every ingredient? Could there be cross contamination? It is always better to manage it yourself and set that example for your daughter.
needadvice1983
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I would just ask them to lable anything with nuts. It's totally unreasonable for you to ask people to change their meal plan in their own home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN