Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School Shooting in Atlanta

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/dekalb-police-chief-responds-incident-elementary-s/nZTRH/

No injuries in McNair Elementary School shooting

•  137 12.3K 5667 33.4K
Students at McNair Elementary
Students at McNair Elementary

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. —

Channel 2 Action News has confirmed that one person is in custody after shots were fired at a DeKalb County elementary school.

The DeKalb County school board chairman said there was an active shooter at Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy. Channel 2 Action News has confirmed with multiple sources that the suspect is a white man in his 20s who was armed with an AK-47 and dressed in black. Channel 2's Mark Winne said the suspect was peacefully apprehended by DeKalb County sheriff's deputies and U.S. Marshalls.

Chairman Melvin Johnson said there have been reports of shots fired. There are no injuries.

News Chopper 2 footage showed children running from the school building.

The charter school is located on 2nd Avenue in Decatur.

Parents are being asked to go to the Walmart near Gresham Road and Interstate 20 to get their children. Hundreds of parents flooded the parking lot to be reunited with their children, who are being bused from the school. Parents must have photo ID.

A woman in the school office called Channel 2 Action News to report that there was a shooter in the school. She told a Channel 2 assignment desk editor that the gunman asked her to call WSB-TV and police. Shots could be heard over the call. 

Channel 2 Action News has 16 crews covering all angles of the shooting. Reporter Dave Huddleston spoke to parents gathered at Walmart about how they heard about the shooting.

Parents at Walmart spoke to Channel 2's Lori Geary about their fears for their childrens' safety.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Omg!
Just a few days into the school year
ElyseFowler
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Already? My god wtf is wrong with people!?!? Smh those poor families
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

There was a weapon found at a high school today, that person is in custody.

There was also an armed robbery just south of Atlanta today and the schools went on lockdown.

My facebook feed is going NUTS this afternoon.

Lisha77
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM
My sister sent me a frantic text looking for her nephew. My son does not attend this school, but it is very scary. This time it was a little too close to home. So glad all of the students, teachers and staff are safe!!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Not enough SAHP's to make sure their kids are properly supervised. Global greed causes the cost of living to rise and no one is at home to raise the kids.  An ongoing problem for a long time. Atleast it wasn't a child this time wielding the weapon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I work down the road from where this happened, and while my kids go to school in a different county, it's really hard not to just leave work and go get them.  Scary for SURE.

Quoting Lisha77:

My sister sent me a frantic text looking for her nephew. My son does not attend this school, but it is very scary. This time it was a little too close to home. So glad all of the students, teachers and staff are safe!!!!!

Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Its a sad world we live in these days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM
That's why we need armed people at these schools. That fucker never would of had a chance if there had been. But this is to much common sense
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Gladly everyone is ok....suspect in custody

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)