Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So your kid is too good to eat school lunch? Update.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 255 Replies
2 moms liked this
In my district, we got some pretty exciting news this year, free lunch for ALL students K-12.

Awesome, right? Think again. The school estimates that 25-40% of students are still packing lunch.

I'm quite a bit shocked. I know free and reduced lunches are a hot topic here. So, why would parents STILL pack a lunch? Are their kids better than any other kid? Why wouldn't you encourage your child (picky or not) to eat food that is given to them?

Sorry, it's been a huge day at my house! Between cooking supper, giving baths, and getting the kids off to bed, along with checking in on my mom, and a crazy car accident in front of my house, I haven't been able to get this!

There are very few things (behavior wise) that matter to ME, as a parent. One of them is appreciation. Food is something we should all be thankful for - whether it's a pile of unattractive food or a beautiful array of freshness.

In my household, for dinner, I cook from scratch with fresh or frozen ingredients.

However, the school is REQUIRED to follow MyFoodPyramid guidelines. While I understand its not FRESH and its not the BEST - but it's, by far, not the worst thing for a kid.

If it follows guidelines for health - it's good enough for MY kid. It's GREAT for my kid to learn - food doesn't have to be something to write home about to nourish their bodies. They should appreciate food and learn that it shouldn't just be disposable. It has value.

I'm also lucky that my boys will eat everything. They are not picky. Before any assumptions are made, they are also bean poles. They are both jocks with slender builds who play outside and love the Y. They do not own gaming systems. They are expected to work hard and play hard.

Last but not least, I have never had a post blow up like this! I figured I'd get maybe 20 comments! Woah! I like the way I parent, so far, I've got some damn good kids. Some replies seem to want to insult me as if I've insulted you - we just disagree. I don't think poorly on people who pack lunches. That's just not how I roll.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casah4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM
10 moms liked this

My children simply do not like most of the food the schools serve. They find it to be gross. I'm not going to make them eat something they don't like just because it's free. We're capable of providing them an alternative that they actually like, so that's what we do.

coleysmama
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM
3 moms liked this
Because those people, like myself, can afford to buy lunch and already chose to pack anyway.
Free or not makes no difference to me really.
km1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Even if my kids could get free lunch, I think we'd pack lunch most of the time. I am not dissing school lunch, I was a lunch lady at my dd's school for a couple of years. I just know my kids, I know what they will and will not eat. I would rather send them a lunch that I know they will eat, than have them eat very little and spend the rest of the day hungry.

BaconQueen
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Some kids may have dietary issues, others just may not like what the school provides. It does not mean the parents think their kid is better, just that they prefer to pack lunches. Simple as that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM
6 moms liked this

For me it would depend on what's on the menu. Because if it's crappy food... yeah, my kid's health is too good for school lunch. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM

because i want my kid to eat food that i know is healthy and i want to know that he will actually eat rather then be hungry all day............i would still pack ds's lunch if his school offered it for free...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM
It would depend how the food was funded..my kids get free breakfast...funded by a private donation. I won't except free food provided by any govt funds..

My kids still eat breakfast at home..and I pack lunches..because school food sucks.
HelloSweetie
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd still pack lunch unless the school offered gluten free.

JessM311
Dd brings her lunch and if we lived in your district I would probably still send her a packed lunch. She is very picky and when she got free lunch in preschool that was at a public school I got notes home all the time because she refused to eat it. Packing her lunch has nothing to do with "being better", it just makes it easy for me to know exactly what she's eating.
jojo_star
My kids don't get free or reduced, but we could easily afford to let them all eat lunch at school every day. They still bring a lunch most days, because the school food is unhealthy, and most of the meals they don't eat.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN