Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bento box school lunches make me roll my eyes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 550 Replies
11 moms liked this

Am I the only one who looks at them and wonders why these mothers have to try so hard? How much time do you think goes into these ridiculous creations? Are they awesome, sure. Would I do them, absolutely not. Dyed cheese....give me a break! Aren't these mothers exhausted from all the time and attention that goes into this every single day? It has got to be hard to keep up with your own standards of perfection with these things. My kids, well if they want to take lunch I might stick in a note that says, "Love ya kid". That's if they're lucky.

http://www.parentmap.com/article/20-great-lunch-box-ideas-for-kids?page=8

Clarification: It's not the box. The boxes are fine. It's the cutsie stuff INSIDE the box that I roll my eyes at.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommysasha1988
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM
3 moms liked this
I had never heard of these, but Jesus. "Don't play with your food".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM
24 moms liked this

I doubt they're doing it solely for the kid's benefit. It's probably a hobby that they enjoy.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a bit too much but I do like to give them different foods and not just the same old stuff all the time

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM
5 moms liked this
I wouldn't do it but I think they are cool. Especially the Domo one. Furthest I go is using cookie cutters to cut sandwiches in fun shapes.
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
But they're so cute!

The most I do is cut a sandwich into a heart, or a tuna sandwich into a fish. The fish is the only one I do free hand lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM
90 moms liked this

Why are you worried about the effort of another parent? Do their attempts make you feel inadequate as a mother? That could truly be the only reason why you would form an opinion about their standards and that is your problem, not theirs. 

Do what you wish for your child in your own way and maybe worry about setting your standards a bit higher if you care so much. 

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I find that all a bit too much.  I believe in creativity, but doing all of that takes a lot of time and really just becomes about making something that looks pretty and artistic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM

You don't think it's some form of one upmanship? I kind of bet it is...... My kids lunch is better than your kids lunch so :P

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

I doubt they're doing it solely for the kid's benefit. It's probably a hobby that they enjoy.

mojogirl
by RoseannRoseannadanna on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM

yeah, they are all over pinterest.... so freakin stupid

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM

lol the stir lady here on cafemom did a peice on it a few days ago. 

http://www.cafemom.com/video/episode/925/Pack_School_Lunch_in_a_Bento_Box_Well_see_about_that

I agree with her. It is fun. it is crafty. 

But really, who has the time for it, when you need to make several of them for several children, AND get them ready for school in the morning, AND get thier homework together, AND everything else that goes into it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN