Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bento box school lunches make me roll my eyes

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Am I the only one who looks at them and wonders why these mothers have to try so hard? How much time do you think goes into these ridiculous creations? Are they awesome, sure. Would I do them, absolutely not. Dyed cheese....give me a break! Aren't these mothers exhausted from all the time and attention that goes into this every single day? It has got to be hard to keep up with your own standards of perfection with these things. My kids, well if they want to take lunch I might stick in a note that says, "Love ya kid". That's if they're lucky.

http://www.parentmap.com/article/20-great-lunch-box-ideas-for-kids?page=8

Clarification: It's not the box. The boxes are fine. It's the cutsie stuff INSIDE the box that I roll my eyes at.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Replies (421-430):
kfroz0415
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM
5 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Just for you OP, my son's lunch. I must be awful. Lol Oh and the whole 10 minutes it took me was supremely exhausting.
kleea1969
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:Don't hate ! Everyone is entitle to do special things for their kids.

I could care less what people do for their kids lunches but how is this hating or how does it mean making stupid little character lunches is special. I think special is playing a board game, reading a book, throwing a ball, sitting and talking, having dinner together as a family, not making lunch box characters. If more people remembered what quality time with their kids really was maybe more kids would be okay. It's not about how it looks to everyone else, it's about how it matters to our children. Blah my kids rather me have family time with them then seeing me spend 45 minutes on something that really doesn't mean a thing. I guess if spending time on something without your kids yet are for your kids is important to you then have fun with that. We prefer to do things together and could care less about what that looks like to others. Sorry your idea of special is off. Special is hugs, kisses, I love you, giggles, talking etc not a stupid lunch box. The idea of them is cute and if someone has the time without it interfering with the things that are important (like kid time) hats off but it certainly isn't as special as what really matters. Stop hating was lectured yet was shown all the way through your post hypocritically funny I guess. To each their own but don't throw the special word out thinking its going to mean something when it seems you have no clue what is really special because it sure isn't cute little lunches. Its sweet and a treat but special is much more then that (unless done together which you didn't insinuate was done)
shaiorta
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Well Darn! I guess I am just a Poor, dumb, Exhausted Mom then! Aren't you Exhausted from being such a Jaded 'I don't give a crap' Mom? 'Love ya' kid note if they are lucky, REALLY?? Wow You are the mother of the year! You must love your kids A Lot! Stop Judging those of us who Actually give a Darn!

Quoting Anonymous:

Am I the only one who looks at them and wonders why these mothers have to try so hard? How much time do you think goes into these ridiculous creations? Are they awesome, sure. Would I do them, absolutely not. Dyed cheese....give me a break! Aren't these mothers exhausted from all the time and attention that goes into this every single day? It has got to be hard to keep up with your own standards of perfection with these things. My kids, well if they want to take lunch I might stick in a note that says, "Love ya kid". That's if they're lucky.

http://www.parentmap.com/article/20-great-lunch-box-ideas-for-kids?page=8

Clarification: It's not the box. The boxes are fine. It's the cutsie stuff INSIDE the box that I roll my eyes at.

Shai-Happy mom to Emi Angie and Baby 'Bells

PoplarGrove
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I keep seeing these around pinterest and the internet and keep thinking to myself...so, they look pretty now but after being slung around in a backpack, dropped a couple of times and finally making it to the lunch room do they even resemble what Mom took forever making?

I do bento boxes for my kids because they don't like sandwiches but there's just something shoved into every spot, it's not artistically crafted.  With 4 kids I have much better things to do with my time...like sleep.

MariannLws
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Thank you. :) 

Quoting winnetkakelly:

Many of the bento bloggers who pack lunches in my EasyLunchboxes containers (and also blog about it) work outside the home, they definitely don't have "too much time on their hands", and they don't write nasty, judgy comments in forums about hobbies other moms take pleasure in.

Their creations are not ridiculous and those moms have no reason to "try any harder" than anyone commenting here.

It takes less time to smush a star-shaped cookie cutter into a piece of cheese than it does to start nasty threads about whole groups of moms you know nothing about.

It's upsetting to read so many negative comments disparaging moms who simply choose to feed their kids in a way that brings them both pleasure. 

It would be lovely if women could stop being so nasty, eye-rolling, and condescending to other women for absolutely no reason.

You can feed your kid how you want and I can feed my kid how I want. And how about we just smile and move on.

hargonagain
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I haven't done that for my son yet, but if i did, you can bet it isn't because I care what you or any other parent thinks of me.  I would only do it for my son's enjoyment.  I don't ever think about what another parent will think of my son's lunch and that is the absolute truth.

Double.Life
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:30 PM

If this was for like the first day of school/birthdays. Okay, that's pretty cool. But every day? That's too much! lol

RandRMomma
by Maya on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I don't have the time for that. That looks time consuming.
JacksMom1221
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM
I think they are cute as shit! When my ds gets older I'll probably do some for him!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Roll away your opinion really doesn't matter.lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)