Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Our society penalizes the wrong people constantly and no one seems to notice the trend.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

1. People making a lifestyle out of PA sit around watching day time TV and have their needs met for them, often while receive money under the table for something. Meanwhile, hard working tax payers are clipping coupons, sacrificing and seeing half their pay checks gone to taxes, insurance (which keeps going up thanks to those who don't pay for their medical care). And people who are financially well off are villainized for making good decisions that paid off. (How dare they work hard and make good decisions?!)

2. People who use proper grammar are made fun of for sounding uppity.

3. People who always look nice are accused of being superficial.

4. People who are extremely organized are accused of being OCD or anal.

5. Parents who put the time and effort into creating structure and consistency for their kids are called "rigid".

6. People with clean, organized, attractive homes are also accused of being "rigid" or not "living" in their homes.

7. People who set high standards are accused of being snobby. Mediocrity and average is acceptable, but nothing above.

This is a trend I've noticed. Just thought I'd point it out.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Yes, it is a trend, and a bad one at that.  But the problem is that it's easier for people who KNOW they're in the wrong to call names and point the fingers at those who aren't, than to admit and own their own shortcomings and do something to fix them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

What attitude do you speak of? I didn't insult anyone, I merely stated how it seems. If an individual as myself puts more than the required effort into something others seem to have an opinion about it, like in the lunch box post. It's insulting when someone says that a mother has too much time on her hands if she makes the time to do something of the sort. Don't skew things to fit your opinion. They are, as they are. 

Yes, if a mother feels spending 10 minutes (as opposed to a standard 5) preparing a lunch for their child is outside of their scope of time then quite possibly they aren't managing their time well enough to have a spare five minutes. 

I haven't made a huge challenge to anyone, no one needs to spend their time making special lunches for their child, if someone chooses to and has the time to it is their business and nothing something another should form an opinion. That is the entire point of my snarkiness. 

You're reading too much into what I have said, you're defensive and it shows on YOUR character, not mine. 

Quoting Jalestra:

THIS is why they tear you down. This attitude right here. Your tone in this post said a lot. "Put any effort into anything" is an insult, as if not being x way means that they don't put effort into anything. "Some famlies are just structured and organized" suggests that by not doing it they way you do it they are not structured and organized. "There's approximately 16 hours in the day blah blah blah" is saying that we are mismanaging our time if we say we don't have time for that sort of thing. 

So in this one post you've made a huge challenge to anyone who isn't putting effort into a friggin' sandwich by saying that since others AREN'T doing it they are not managing their time wisely, lack organization, and apparently are lazy. 

Mrs.Kubala's original comment was completely true, honest, and not rude...then the rest of you saw fit to use it as a jumping off point to become sanctimommies. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I know shame on them for doing more than just slapping two pieces of bread together with meat and cheese. Shame. Shame. 

It seems almost taboo these days to put effort into anything, if you do then you must have too much time on your hands. 

Reality is, some families are just structured and organized. There are approximately 16 waking hours in the average parent's day... It isn't exactly difficult to manage those 16 hours to be able to do do those lunches, or anything else us "effort" parent's do. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Found it. How dare mothers attempt to brighten their child's day?! What are these nut jobs thinking?!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, it's circulating on first page I believe. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Somehow I missed this thread. Is it in MC?

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree and was thinking the same thing. I don't understand why they are questioning the time management or efforts of another mother. 

It's as though mother's are content with doing the bare minimum for their children and anyone who dare put an in level of extra effort are vilified or berated. I don't understand how extra effort can bring such negativity. 

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I was honestly thinking the same thing when I saw the "Bento lunches make me roll my eyes" post.  Why are loving Moms who take the time to do something special for/with their child automatically deemed overbearing or stupid?  Do something special for the kids, you're overbearing and need a life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I absolutely agree with your last statement. It's not about impressing anyone (ok, maybe my kids lol) but it's about giving the very best possible. If I can give more then the bare minimum I will, it's a parenting choice. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Now, I don't do anything very artsy or crafty. The artsy lunches wouldn't look edible if I tried. I wish I could, but no. However, I am a very cook and I refuse to send my kid to school with nothing but a cold sandwich. She's five and would be terribly disappointed. She went to school with a chicken and rice stir fry today and blue berries, grapes, cheerios, and crystal light. It's not uncommon for her to go to school with steak and potatoes. It's not that I'm trying to impress anyone, but rather, I want her to have the best I can offer. I don't eat cold sandwiches during my lunch break every day, nor does dh. So why should my child? It's a mindset of "If I'm capable of something, why would I do less??"

Quoting Anonymous:

I know shame on them for doing more than just slapping two pieces of bread together with meat and cheese. Shame. Shame. 

It seems almost taboo these days to put effort into anything, if you do then you must have too much time on your hands. 

Reality is, some families are just structured and organized. There are approximately 16 waking hours in the average parent's day... It isn't exactly difficult to manage those 16 hours to be able to do do those lunches, or anything else us "effort" parent's do. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Found it. How dare mothers attempt to brighten their child's day?! What are these nut jobs thinking?!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree and was thinking the same thing. I don't understand why they are questioning the time management or efforts of another mother. 

It's as though mother's are content with doing the bare minimum for their children and anyone who dare put an in level of extra effort are vilified or berated. I don't understand how extra effort can bring such negativity. 

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I was honestly thinking the same thing when I saw the "Bento lunches make me roll my eyes" post.  Why are loving Moms who take the time to do something special for/with their child automatically deemed overbearing or stupid?  Do something special for the kids, you're overbearing and need a life.

Ayla-bellesmom
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM

You're right. No-one ever makes negative comments toward people on welfare, who speak with inproper grammar, who never dress up, who have a relaxed parenting style, who have messy or cluttered homes, or who simply encourage children to do their best.

Never happens, huh?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Exactly. I got a remark like that a while back because I paint my girls' nails pretty much every Saturday and someone noted that their nails were always painted and often has the little flowers on their toe nails. They said I must have lots of time on my hands. Just the opposite. I make a point to do that because they like it and it's time that we talk and bond while I'm doing it. I do it because it's special time. I have housework, laundry, and constant chores. They all get done even though I take a break to have girl time with my kids. I baffles me that anyone would criticize that.

Quoting Anonymous:

What attitude do you speak of? I didn't insult anyone, I merely stated how it seems. If an individual as myself puts more than the required effort into something others seem to have an opinion about it, like in the lunch box post. It's insulting when someone says that a mother has too much time on her hands if she makes the time to do something of the sort. Don't skew things to fit your opinion. They are, as they are. 

Yes, if a mother feels spending 10 minutes (as opposed to a standard 5) preparing a lunch for their child is outside of their scope of time then quite possibly they aren't managing their time well enough to have a spare five minutes. 

I haven't made a huge challenge to anyone, no one needs to spend their time making special lunches for their child, if someone chooses to and has the time to it is their business and nothing something another should form an opinion. That is the entire point of my snarkiness. 

You're reading too much into what I have said, you're defensive and it shows on YOUR character, not mine. 

Quoting Jalestra:

THIS is why they tear you down. This attitude right here. Your tone in this post said a lot. "Put any effort into anything" is an insult, as if not being x way means that they don't put effort into anything. "Some famlies are just structured and organized" suggests that by not doing it they way you do it they are not structured and organized. "There's approximately 16 hours in the day blah blah blah" is saying that we are mismanaging our time if we say we don't have time for that sort of thing. 

So in this one post you've made a huge challenge to anyone who isn't putting effort into a friggin' sandwich by saying that since others AREN'T doing it they are not managing their time wisely, lack organization, and apparently are lazy. 

Mrs.Kubala's original comment was completely true, honest, and not rude...then the rest of you saw fit to use it as a jumping off point to become sanctimommies. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

JealousGrrl
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I agree with you all but one. This is so true!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM

sad, isn't it?

jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Yup.  I get really confused when someone says they have no time.  What the hell are they doing?  Oh, bitching about having no time on CM...

ETA - Schedules can be busy, sure, but if something is important to you, you find the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly. I got a remark like that a while back because I paint my girls' nails pretty much every Saturday and someone noted that their nails were always painted and often has the little flowers on their toe nails. They said I must have lots of time on my hands. Just the opposite. I make a point to do that because they like it and it's time that we talk and bond while I'm doing it. I do it because it's special time. I have housework, laundry, and constant chores. They all get done even though I take a break to have girl time with my kids. I baffles me that anyone would criticize that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I do agree with that.  I come here for entertainment!  LOL  Sometimes I find myself shaking my head at something, and then I go do something away from the computer for a while instead.

Quoting JBiiirdD:

I went through a rough time with a group of ladies from a different site & you know what I learned? It's the interwebz. No one knows who I really am, just basing assumptions off a few posts & comments. As long as *I* & my husband knows I'm doing my best as a mother, no one else's opinion matters. I think the sooner people stop caring what people on the interwebz think, the better.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

It's OK to think the boxes are a bit much, but I don't get the vibe you are judging the Moms who do them, kwim?  The other post she made it seem like Moms who do them are ONLY doing it for selfish reasons, like putting up a front or trying to cover their imperfections.  I do bento boxes WITH my children, because I love cooking/food prep and they like art.  To think I'm just slapped with an "overbearing lable" by some people is just silly.

I guess that goes for a lot of topics on MC, though.  This group judges for EVERYTHING.  Hug your boy?  He's going to be gay!  Give your DD a doll?  You are forcing gender stereotypes!  Drink soda?  You're fat, you're making your kids fat, and your grandkids will be fat, and you all deserve to DIE for being fat!  It goes to such a crazy extreme so fast.  Called the cops because the neighbor was beating his wife?  Should have minded your own business, she won't leave him anyways!  When she ends up dead?  You're a terrible person, you should have intervened!

Whether it is in the world at large, or even just among a circle of friends, it seems that having the best of intentions backfires all too often.

Quoting JBiiirdD:

Well, I think the Bento boxes are a bit much but that's just me. I "fit the mold" in other areas. lol

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM
A little snark is fine but all the extra stuff is entertaining. lol

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I do agree with that.  I come here for entertainment!  LOL  Sometimes I find myself shaking my head at something, and then I go do something away from the computer for a while instead.

Quoting JBiiirdD:

I went through a rough time with a group of ladies from a different site & you know what I learned? It's the interwebz. No one knows who I really am, just basing assumptions off a few posts & comments. As long as *I* & my husband knows I'm doing my best as a mother, no one else's opinion matters. I think the sooner people stop caring what people on the interwebz think, the better.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

It's OK to think the boxes are a bit much, but I don't get the vibe you are judging the Moms who do them, kwim?  The other post she made it seem like Moms who do them are ONLY doing it for selfish reasons, like putting up a front or trying to cover their imperfections.  I do bento boxes WITH my children, because I love cooking/food prep and they like art.  To think I'm just slapped with an "overbearing lable" by some people is just silly.

I guess that goes for a lot of topics on MC, though.  This group judges for EVERYTHING.  Hug your boy?  He's going to be gay!  Give your DD a doll?  You are forcing gender stereotypes!  Drink soda?  You're fat, you're making your kids fat, and your grandkids will be fat, and you all deserve to DIE for being fat!  It goes to such a crazy extreme so fast.  Called the cops because the neighbor was beating his wife?  Should have minded your own business, she won't leave him anyways!  When she ends up dead?  You're a terrible person, you should have intervened!

Whether it is in the world at large, or even just among a circle of friends, it seems that having the best of intentions backfires all too often.

Quoting JBiiirdD:

Well, I think the Bento boxes are a bit much but that's just me. I "fit the mold" in other areas. lol

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)