Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our society penalizes the wrong people constantly and no one seems to notice the trend.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

1. People making a lifestyle out of PA sit around watching day time TV and have their needs met for them, often while receive money under the table for something. Meanwhile, hard working tax payers are clipping coupons, sacrificing and seeing half their pay checks gone to taxes, insurance (which keeps going up thanks to those who don't pay for their medical care). And people who are financially well off are villainized for making good decisions that paid off. (How dare they work hard and make good decisions?!)

2. People who use proper grammar are made fun of for sounding uppity.

3. People who always look nice are accused of being superficial.

4. People who are extremely organized are accused of being OCD or anal.

5. Parents who put the time and effort into creating structure and consistency for their kids are called "rigid".

6. People with clean, organized, attractive homes are also accused of being "rigid" or not "living" in their homes.

7. People who set high standards are accused of being snobby. Mediocrity and average is acceptable, but nothing above.

This is a trend I've noticed. Just thought I'd point it out.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (81-90):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM
number two reminds me.of a story my future MIL told.me. they had just moved out here from El Paso, and.were asking this lady for directions. the lady just stared at them for a minute and asked "Why you speak so propah"

she was liike "wth? this is how I speak, and others as well" She got called am uppity n____" by some lady she didn't even know.
TheDoctorsWife
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:30 AM
I pretty much agree
mom2theA-team
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM

When I opened this I thought I would roll my eyes and think you were off your rocker. 

I agree. When DH and I had our first when I was still in college people hassled us about it but it was VERY acceptable in my family.

DH went to grad school and we were broke in grad school, he worked PT at Best Buy. Acceptable.

The second he graduated and took a great job, with great vacation time (6 weeks!)... All of a sudden I've been notified of the gossip our family has been saying about us over the past year.  

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM

This. My commute to and from work is 1.5 hours in one direction. That's THREE HOURS wasted in Los Angeles traffic, and then I get bashed on here for saying that I really don't have the time to spare for certain shit.

Quoting Anonymous:

Okay so for those who believe the whole comment about there being 16 hours awake in a day... What about the moms who work outside the home? My neighbor has 4 kids. She is an ER nurse in the next state over. It takes her an hour to get to/from work and she works 12 hour shifts. So there goes 14 of her awake hours. She works 5 days a week. Sometimes 6.

It's not as easy as some of you make it seem.

Ali5683
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Seems as though you missed the point to the post. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

we get it, your perfect, not a snob or rigid at all. No problem, you need to understand that not everyone that collects some for of PA is a moocher, lazy, unmotivated or taking advantage,

Ali5683
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Unfortunately, those stereotypes are in place because of those who have been lazy and on public assistance or those who dress really nice are high maintenance bitches. It's those who do fit the mold that ruin it for those who don't. If that makes any sense.

I know that not everyone on public assistance is a lazy ass. I know that not every well put together person is high maintenance or snobby. I know that not every rich/wealthy person is selfish. It's the bad ones that ruin it for the good ones.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM
From what I have found, less than 2% off all entitlement programs are fraudulent. I'd like to see your source.

Quoting kailu1835:

Just off the top of my head (been a while since I researched and can do more on the laptop tomorrow), and this includes all entitlement programs.

For disability, 25% of people are getting benefits for nonexistent disabilities.

For childcare, fraudulent claims are as high as 70%.

25% of new welfare applications contain fraud in some area.

Not reporting full income is the number one most common type of welfare fraud in the US, followed by reporting the absence of one of the parents in the home. This number is harder to fins due to the fact that it is rarely ever caught. I personally know one woman who received welfare for 5 children. She said she did not work, so she brought in the maximum amount of benefits allowable by law. She said that she was a single mom, and that she didn't know who the father of three of her children were, and the father of the other two was dead (he actually was). She purposefully did not put the dad's name on the birth certificate of the three boys. In reality, the boys' father was living with her, making around 2 grand a month (this was back in 1993, and she was raking in the dough making thousands of dollars a month under the table doing hair in her home. I don't know why my mom never turned her in. I know many MANY other cases like this, though none to that extreme. I used to help tribal members fill out welfare applications and more than half always tried to fudge to get more benefits. I would refuse to help them unless they were honest.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then please do share the statistics.

Quoting kailu1835:

They are very real stories, not lies made up to make people look bad. According to the statistics, most people on welfare are defrauding the system in one way or another.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sure there are areas where it is more prevelant, but overall most people on PA are NOT abusing it. It's not all that easy to get and stay on. All the "welfare momma" stories are just stories made to deamonize the poor.

Quoting kailu1835:

Uh no, it is definitely many. I grew up around career pa abusers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Those that take advantage are not that many.......js

Quoting Mommysmadae:

She said those that take advantage not all.

Quoting Anonymous:

we get it, your perfect, not a snob or rigid at all. No problem, you need to understand that not everyone that collects some for of PA is a moocher, lazy, unmotivated or taking advantage,

Jalestra
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Oh please. Don't play innocent. You're full of sanctimonious self congratulations. "puts more than the required effort" Every word of your posts is judgmental. Honestly, I don't care one way or the other if you put whatever in, it's no skin off my nose, but if you walk around with attitude about it, superiority complex..I'm making fun of you. It's nothing to do with your efforts and everything to do with your attitude. Then to play the victim card and blame OTHER people for responding to your attitude? Please. I mean, I COULD let it go, but honestly, with your nose that high it is FAR too entertaining knocking that self imposed pedestal over. You obviously need some tearing down, you built yourself up way too high just because of a little cookie cutter lunch.
Quoting Anonymous:

What attitude do you speak of? I didn't insult anyone, I merely stated how it seems. If an individual as myself puts more than the required effort into something others seem to have an opinion about it, like in the lunch box post. It's insulting when someone says that a mother has too much time on her hands if she makes the time to do something of the sort. Don't skew things to fit your opinion. They are, as they are. 

Yes, if a mother feels spending 10 minutes (as opposed to a standard 5) preparing a lunch for their child is outside of their scope of time then quite possibly they aren't managing their time well enough to have a spare five minutes. 

I haven't made a huge challenge to anyone, no one needs to spend their time making special lunches for their child, if someone chooses to and has the time to it is their business and nothing something another should form an opinion. That is the entire point of my snarkiness. 

You're reading too much into what I have said, you're defensive and it shows on YOUR character, not mine. 

Quoting Jalestra:

THIS is why they tear you down. This attitude right here. Your tone in this post said a lot. "Put any effort into anything" is an insult, as if not being x way means that they don't put effort into anything. "Some famlies are just structured and organized" suggests that by not doing it they way you do it they are not structured and organized. "There's approximately 16 hours in the day blah blah blah" is saying that we are mismanaging our time if we say we don't have time for that sort of thing. 

So in this one post you've made a huge challenge to anyone who isn't putting effort into a friggin' sandwich by saying that since others AREN'T doing it they are not managing their time wisely, lack organization, and apparently are lazy. 

Mrs.Kubala's original comment was completely true, honest, and not rude...then the rest of you saw fit to use it as a jumping off point to become sanctimommies. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I know shame on them for doing more than just slapping two pieces of bread together with meat and cheese. Shame. Shame. 

It seems almost taboo these days to put effort into anything, if you do then you must have too much time on your hands. 

Reality is, some families are just structured and organized. There are approximately 16 waking hours in the average parent's day... It isn't exactly difficult to manage those 16 hours to be able to do do those lunches, or anything else us "effort" parent's do. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Found it. How dare mothers attempt to brighten their child's day?! What are these nut jobs thinking?!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, it's circulating on first page I believe. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You're justifying your bullying behavior. You are trying to force or intimidate others into behaving in a way you approve of. If you think bullying is justified just because you don't like something, then we might as well stop the whole "no bullying" movement, because that's why people are bullies to start with. To harass, intimidate, and make others feel like inferiors because they aren't like you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

You do realize this is internet, right? You aren't knocking anyone off an pedestal, once I leave this webpage, I go about my life and don't give any of this another thought. While you may believe you've won some sort of mommy war by saying you'll "make fun of me" you haven't because I cannot begin to take anything you say seriously. It is clear by your replies that you are an individual who feels inadequate as both a woman and a mother. Really, you should probably enroll in a self-help class.. You could use it. 

Quoting Jalestra:

Oh please. Don't play innocent. You're full of sanctimonious self congratulations. "puts more than the required effort" Every word of your posts is judgmental. Honestly, I don't care one way or the other if you put whatever in, it's no skin off my nose, but if you walk around with attitude about it, superiority complex..I'm making fun of you. It's nothing to do with your efforts and everything to do with your attitude. Then to play the victim card and blame OTHER people for responding to your attitude? Please. I mean, I COULD let it go, but honestly, with your nose that high it is FAR too entertaining knocking that self imposed pedestal over. You obviously need some tearing down, you built yourself up way too high just because of a little cookie cutter lunch.
Quoting Anonymous:

What attitude do you speak of? I didn't insult anyone, I merely stated how it seems. If an individual as myself puts more than the required effort into something others seem to have an opinion about it, like in the lunch box post. It's insulting when someone says that a mother has too much time on her hands if she makes the time to do something of the sort. Don't skew things to fit your opinion. They are, as they are. 

Yes, if a mother feels spending 10 minutes (as opposed to a standard 5) preparing a lunch for their child is outside of their scope of time then quite possibly they aren't managing their time well enough to have a spare five minutes. 

I haven't made a huge challenge to anyone, no one needs to spend their time making special lunches for their child, if someone chooses to and has the time to it is their business and nothing something another should form an opinion. That is the entire point of my snarkiness. 

You're reading too much into what I have said, you're defensive and it shows on YOUR character, not mine. 

Quoting Jalestra:

THIS is why they tear you down. This attitude right here. Your tone in this post said a lot. "Put any effort into anything" is an insult, as if not being x way means that they don't put effort into anything. "Some famlies are just structured and organized" suggests that by not doing it they way you do it they are not structured and organized. "There's approximately 16 hours in the day blah blah blah" is saying that we are mismanaging our time if we say we don't have time for that sort of thing. 

So in this one post you've made a huge challenge to anyone who isn't putting effort into a friggin' sandwich by saying that since others AREN'T doing it they are not managing their time wisely, lack organization, and apparently are lazy. 

Mrs.Kubala's original comment was completely true, honest, and not rude...then the rest of you saw fit to use it as a jumping off point to become sanctimommies. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I know shame on them for doing more than just slapping two pieces of bread together with meat and cheese. Shame. Shame. 

It seems almost taboo these days to put effort into anything, if you do then you must have too much time on your hands. 

Reality is, some families are just structured and organized. There are approximately 16 waking hours in the average parent's day... It isn't exactly difficult to manage those 16 hours to be able to do do those lunches, or anything else us "effort" parent's do. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Found it. How dare mothers attempt to brighten their child's day?! What are these nut jobs thinking?!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Jalestra
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM
You and the other mom were wondering why some moms wanted to tear you down..I'm just telling you. And I'm not making fun of you personally yet, just other moms just like you who think there is a "bare minimum" of motherhood. I guess there is, but most moms surpass it. The "bare minimum" is feeding and clothing. And I don't feel inadequate as anything. I am not the one having to build myself up over cookie cutter sandwiches and an ounce of nail polish. But you go ahead, if that's all you got.
Quoting Anonymous:

You do realize this is internet, right? You aren't knocking anyone off an pedestal, once I leave this webpage, I go about my life and don't give any of this another thought. While you may believe you've won some sort of mommy war by saying you'll "make fun of me" you haven't because I cannot begin to take anything you say seriously. It is clear by your replies that you are an individual who feels inadequate as both a woman and a mother. Really, you should probably enroll in a self-help class.. You could use it. 

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

You're justifying your bullying behavior. You are trying to force or intimidate others into behaving in a way you approve of. If you think bullying is justified just because you don't like something, then we might as well stop the whole "no bullying" movement, because that's why people are bullies to start with. To harass, intimidate, and make others feel like inferiors because they aren't like you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured