Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN FEED MY CHILD!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Ok so our post now has this new health initiative.  I get it to an extent but no more pizza parties by the PTO or anything like that.

Now we are able to go in & eat lunch w/our kids.  My DH had off the today so we went & surprised our DD at school & took Subway w/us & sat at the tables provided for those eating lunch w/their kids.  Well one of the volunteer lunch mom's through a fit bc we brought in junk food (subway).  The principal ended up sending home a letter stating parents should refrain from bringing in pizza, subway, BK, McDs, Taco Bell, etc.

Look I get trying to promote healthy eating, though I think they are going a bit extreme with it. 

I also do not believe they should be able to tell me what I can & can not bring when I buy it w/my money.  It is a special thing for my child, doesn't happen often.  I don't care if I bring in BK or McD's, it is my choice.  Not to mention I personally think BK (I hate McDs) is probably healthier than the crap that they serve for lunches!

If they want to do a big health thing & get kids to eat healthier maybe they should look into what the hell they are serving for lunch!

I don't find it appropriate to tell me what I can & can't bring my daughter to eat.  What is next, pick through the lunchboxes?

Sorry if that didn't make sense, I just needed to vent!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Once a month DH gets our younger two one of the lunch boxes from Starbucks and a parent commented last year about how unhealthy it is. They like the protein one (egg, cheese, whole wheat crackers and a couple of other things in small amounts) or the Asian chicken salad one. They take veggies and a bottled water with it. 

I am so glad they are both going to be at the charter school this year (only middle DD was last year) where the only lunch rule is no sharing and no trading. 

BEXi
by BEXi on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

They would just rather your child pay for and eat their shitty lunch instead, Im sure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this

The problem is the logos and labels from the outside food (basically advertising) . . . Its not really the food itself.  (Meaning they don't care whether its a salad or a burger), its the logos/advertising.  It violates the federal USDA guidelines for the cafeteria programs to have that in the dining area of a USDA subsidized food program (most school cafeterias).  Having them in there could cause them to lose their USDA funding (which covers the free and reduced lunch program and also kicks in so much per meal on "full priced" lunches).  You can take the food out of the containers the the logos and labels and stick it in a brown paper bag and you'll be fine.  I've done it a hundred times as a teacher . . . Just hand the parents a white paper plate and toss the containers and wrappers.  At that point that sandwich or chicken nuggets are no different than "homemade" ones that you could have packed in their lunchbox.  (And yes, if the USDA had their way they'd regulate what kids bring in their lunch boxes and disallow lunchables and little Debbie and any other brand names on lunchboxes, but they couldn't get away with that . . .yet . . . I give it 10 years).

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Hooray Jarod!

Quoting Sassy762:

Didn't one guy lose a bunch of weight by eating at Subway everyday??

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

OMG lunch being served that day was hotdogs & hamburgers, I honestly wanted to puke & not bc I'm a health nut.  But DAMN it looked NASTY!  I swear the hamburgs were not real meat, they looked like puke to be honest.

Canned veggies, ugh gross!

Where is this health initiative in the damn lunch programs?!

Quoting nyxiemist:

Such bad parenting! Shame on you, shame! LOL

If they are anti pizza, they should ban cheese sandwiches too. They should also take hotdogs, pizza, and chicken nuggets off their menu. That's what the serve at the school on our post.

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess so.

My DD gets her's on wheat bread, she has ham & turkey, cucumbers, spinach & tomato on it along w/vinegar.  Sounds horrible huh? lol

Quoting nyxiemist:

So a sandwich with veggies on it is junk food?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

This has been going on for a while now, when I worked for a school district they had to follow precise rules.  That includes what parents bring in as well.  Also you are wrong about what the serve now days,  It is all healthy, they also have to follow strict guidelines to get funding.    I have been saying this for a few years when it was starting to be rolled out.  Truly go eat in your daughers cafetaria and tell me if its not the most blandest food you have ever had. But it is healthy.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Thats the one, lol

Quoting bmw29:

Hooray Jarod!

Quoting Sassy762:

Didn't one guy lose a bunch of weight by eating at Subway everyday??

shanesmom24
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM

i never heard of the coming in and eating lunch thing. not knocking it but they dont do it here. they do have special event days where parents come and volunteer.   other than that, people need to get over what other people eat.  i could care less if you fed your kid a brownie and soda for lunch.  not my business.  or should i say I mind my  own beeswax  ( lol one day i will look up where the heck that phrase came from )

silverflash
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Next time unwrap the sandwiches from the Subway wrap. Wrap them in plastic and say they are homemade;)

Maries_Mom23
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Eh....my girls have been in school for 5 years now and the rule has always been if you join them for lunch, that you eat the school lunch. No bringing in fast food.  I've had lunch with them countless times.  No biggie.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)