Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN FEED MY CHILD!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Ok so our post now has this new health initiative.  I get it to an extent but no more pizza parties by the PTO or anything like that.

Now we are able to go in & eat lunch w/our kids.  My DH had off the today so we went & surprised our DD at school & took Subway w/us & sat at the tables provided for those eating lunch w/their kids.  Well one of the volunteer lunch mom's through a fit bc we brought in junk food (subway).  The principal ended up sending home a letter stating parents should refrain from bringing in pizza, subway, BK, McDs, Taco Bell, etc.

Look I get trying to promote healthy eating, though I think they are going a bit extreme with it. 

I also do not believe they should be able to tell me what I can & can not bring when I buy it w/my money.  It is a special thing for my child, doesn't happen often.  I don't care if I bring in BK or McD's, it is my choice.  Not to mention I personally think BK (I hate McDs) is probably healthier than the crap that they serve for lunches!

If they want to do a big health thing & get kids to eat healthier maybe they should look into what the hell they are serving for lunch!

I don't find it appropriate to tell me what I can & can't bring my daughter to eat.  What is next, pick through the lunchboxes?

Sorry if that didn't make sense, I just needed to vent!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (31-40):
illinoismommy83
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM
4 moms liked this

Yet if you took the subway out of the fastfood wrapper and put it in a zip bag, it would be a "healthy sandwich with lots of veggies" :p

Our school handbook says no fast food as well :/ I dunno why, the slop they feed the kids isn't even food.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

This has been going on for a while now, when I worked for a school district they had to follow precise rules.  That includes what parents bring in as well.  Also you are wrong about what the serve now days,  It is all healthy, they also have to follow strict guidelines to get funding.    I have been saying this for a few years when it was starting to be rolled out.  Truly go eat in your daughers cafetaria and tell me if its not the most blandest food you have ever had. But it is healthy.

Not at our schools. All they did was make the portion sizes smaller. In fact, the portions are so small they had a few kids pass out last year from low blood sugar. A regular meal at our schools is 2 small chicken nuggets, 4-6 french fries, a tablespoon of veggies and a tablespoon of fruit. 

The high schoolers (the ones who passed out) were all very active kids and the portions were only slightly larger. Even the marching bands were having issues because marching band is an active class and the kids were not getting enough to eat. Most parents are sending lunches now and most teachers have instituted a snack time in the day, even for the older kids. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM
2 moms liked this
My son's school did this to me years ago. I was called into principals office for bringing a corn "dog" as his lunch. It was actually a zucchini stick inn there as he doesn't like hot dogs. Granted they didn't know it wasnt a hot dog, but so what. Hes my kid. I pointed out all the kids eating those lnchables, those are all processed crap also. Just to be a bitch i brought a happy meal the next month.
tardistraveller
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Actually, where I live, they will pick through the lunches.  No junk food allowed.  Those gummy candies, chocolate granola bars, potato chips, halloween candy, koolaid jammers, none of it allowed.

Also no litter allowed.  No plastic sandwich bags or tetra boxes.

And as a parent, I wouldn't be happy with other adults allowed to come in at lunch time to dine in the school.  That's a security risk.  

Schools in my city are locked down. There are cameras and microphones at the doors.  You need to be buzzed in.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM
3 moms liked this

We live on a military post, this new health initiative is brand new. Something the hospital started & schools can choose to opt in.  Our principal did & has taken it to the extreme.

LMAO if you really think it is ALL healthy bc it is not!

I have eaten in my DD's cafeteria & I will NOT let her eat in it again.  The food is NOT healthy, I mean unless you consider canned veggies healthy, greasy greasy pizza healthy, fake grilled cheese healthy.  There is NOTHING healthy.

The burgers, looked like puke.

I have cooked bland food before, I use to work in the kitchen of a nursing home.  It never looked nasty & disgusting.  Why?  Bc the food was real, not fake crap.

Quoting Anonymous:

This has been going on for a while now, when I worked for a school district they had to follow precise rules.  That includes what parents bring in as well.  Also you are wrong about what the serve now days,  It is all healthy, they also have to follow strict guidelines to get funding.    I have been saying this for a few years when it was starting to be rolled out.  Truly go eat in your daughers cafetaria and tell me if its not the most blandest food you have ever had. But it is healthy.

shanesmom24
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

is this a new thing?  many times i would grab wawa or subway and send with my kid for lunch and never anything was said.  although once he hit 7th grade he bought every day.  junior high  and the highschool  have food courts.  very healthy stuff and nice variety of things. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The problem is the logos and labels from the outside food (basically advertising) . . . Its not really the food itself.  (Meaning they don't care whether its a salad or a burger), its the logos/advertising.  It violates the federal USDA guidelines for the cafeteria programs to have that in the dining area of a USDA subsidized food program (most school cafeterias).  Having them in there could cause them to lose their USDA funding (which covers the free and reduced lunch program and also kicks in so much per meal on "full priced" lunches).  You can take the food out of the containers the the logos and labels and stick it in a brown paper bag and you'll be fine.  I've done it a hundred times as a teacher . . . Just hand the parents a white paper plate and toss the containers and wrappers.  At that point that sandwich or chicken nuggets are no different than "homemade" ones that you could have packed in their lunchbox.  (And yes, if the USDA had their way they'd regulate what kids bring in their lunch boxes and disallow lunchables and little Debbie and any other brand names on lunchboxes, but they couldn't get away with that . . .yet . . . I give it 10 years).

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never ever allow them to pick through my child's lunch, that is way to far.

What security risk, you go to the desk & get checked in.  Our doors are locked, you must be buzzed in.

So glad I don't live in fear.

Quoting tardistraveller:

Actually, where I live, they will pick through the lunches.  No junk food allowed.  Those gummy candies, chocolate granola bars, potato chips, halloween candy, koolaid jammers, none of it allowed.

Also no litter allowed.  No plastic sandwich bags or tetra boxes.

And as a parent, I wouldn't be happy with other adults allowed to come in at lunch time to dine in the school.  That's a security risk.  

Schools in my city are locked down. There are cameras and microphones at the doors.  You need to be buzzed in.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

HAHA love it, I would've done the same thing!

Quoting Anonymous:

My son's school did this to me years ago. I was called into principals office for bringing a corn "dog" as his lunch. It was actually a zucchini stick inn there as he doesn't like hot dogs. Granted they didn't know it wasnt a hot dog, but so what. Hes my kid. I pointed out all the kids eating those lnchables, those are all processed crap also. Just to be a bitch i brought a happy meal the next month.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM

The principal should have just wrote a note banning parents from eating lunch.  Problem solved.

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Uh, how is Subway junk food? And because some mother tattled no one is allowed to bring sandwiches to school? Wtf? I would flat out tell them that I will feed my kids what I want to and I will eat what I want to and they can get the fuck over it or I will be checking my child out for lunch. School food is crap. What is unhealthy about a sandwiches?

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)