Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN FEED MY CHILD!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Ok so our post now has this new health initiative.  I get it to an extent but no more pizza parties by the PTO or anything like that.

Now we are able to go in & eat lunch w/our kids.  My DH had off the today so we went & surprised our DD at school & took Subway w/us & sat at the tables provided for those eating lunch w/their kids.  Well one of the volunteer lunch mom's through a fit bc we brought in junk food (subway).  The principal ended up sending home a letter stating parents should refrain from bringing in pizza, subway, BK, McDs, Taco Bell, etc.

Look I get trying to promote healthy eating, though I think they are going a bit extreme with it. 

I also do not believe they should be able to tell me what I can & can not bring when I buy it w/my money.  It is a special thing for my child, doesn't happen often.  I don't care if I bring in BK or McD's, it is my choice.  Not to mention I personally think BK (I hate McDs) is probably healthier than the crap that they serve for lunches!

If they want to do a big health thing & get kids to eat healthier maybe they should look into what the hell they are serving for lunch!

I don't find it appropriate to tell me what I can & can't bring my daughter to eat.  What is next, pick through the lunchboxes?

Sorry if that didn't make sense, I just needed to vent!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (41-50):
tardistraveller
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't live in fear.  I live without fear because our school understand security and don't have parents coming and spending lunch with the kids without a background check, as in the case of the volunteer moms.

And they glance at the lunches, if they happen to see the junk food, it's taken away and replaced with a fruit.

Don't send things against the rules and there isn't a problem.  Kids might as well learn now, when you are in a place like school or work, you follow the rules.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would never ever allow them to pick through my child's lunch, that is way to far.

What security risk, you go to the desk & get checked in.  Our doors are locked, you must be buzzed in.

So glad I don't live in fear.

Quoting tardistraveller:

Actually, where I live, they will pick through the lunches.  No junk food allowed.  Those gummy candies, chocolate granola bars, potato chips, halloween candy, koolaid jammers, none of it allowed.

Also no litter allowed.  No plastic sandwich bags or tetra boxes.

And as a parent, I wouldn't be happy with other adults allowed to come in at lunch time to dine in the school.  That's a security risk.  

Schools in my city are locked down. There are cameras and microphones at the doors.  You need to be buzzed in.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM

It isn't even in our handbook.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Yet if you took the subway out of the fastfood wrapper and put it in a zip bag, it would be a "healthy sandwich with lots of veggies" :p

Our school handbook says no fast food as well :/ I dunno why, the slop they feed the kids isn't even food.

ZombieMeat
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM
All I have to say is......school food is exactly what they serve at BK.
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Oh honey. I have worked for subway.

I could tell you SO many things wrong with it....

I will never eat there again...

Quoting bmw29:

What the hell is wrong with Subway?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I live on a military post, most of us have had background checks.

IDC if they happen to see junk food they don't get to take something away from my child.  My child gets healthy food & a treat once in awhile.  Not the schools job to tell me I can't do that.  I would not be ok w/that.

There is no rule & again it is extreme.  You may be ok w/babysitting rules/laws but I most certainly am not.

Quoting tardistraveller:

I don't live in fear.  I live without fear because our school understand security and don't have parents coming and spending lunch with the kids without a background check, as in the case of the volunteer moms.

And they glance at the lunches, if they happen to see the junk food, it's taken away and replaced with a fruit.

Don't send things against the rules and there isn't a problem.  Kids might as well learn now, when you are in a place like school or work, you follow the rules.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would never ever allow them to pick through my child's lunch, that is way to far.

What security risk, you go to the desk & get checked in.  Our doors are locked, you must be buzzed in.

Quoting tardistraveller:

Actually, where I live, they will pick through the lunches.  No junk food allowed.  Those gummy candies, chocolate granola bars, potato chips, halloween candy, koolaid jammers, none of it allowed.

And as a parent, I wouldn't be happy with other adults allowed to come in at lunch time to dine in the school.  That's a security risk.  

Schools in my city are locked down. There are cameras and microphones at the doors.  You need to be buzzed in.  

newwifenmom
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I agree with you.

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Uhh.... How is a sandwich "junk" food?? I kinda get the mcDs and BK... But subway?!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tardistraveller
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

So feed your kids treats on your own time.  The rules are the rules and they are there for a reason.  I see no problem with teaching a new generation healthy food choices so we can try and stem the rate of obesity.

They aren't babysitting rules.  They are the school's policies.  And yes, it is their job to state what their policies within their buildings are.  

I am sure your child won't suffer from eating one healthy meal a day without junk food.

Quoting Anonymous:

I live on a military post, most of us have had background checks.

IDC if they happen to see junk food they don't get to take something away from my child.  My child gets healthy food & a treat once in awhile.  Not the schools job to tell me I can't do that.  I would not be ok w/that.

There is no rule & again it is extreme.  You may be ok w/babysitting rules/laws but I most certainly am not.

Quoting tardistraveller:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tardistraveller:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I did go in & tell them that if this is such an issue I will just come in, sign her out eat lunch w/her & then send her back.

She didn't say much, but she really can't.

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

Uh, how is Subway junk food? And because some mother tattled no one is allowed to bring sandwiches to school? Wtf? I would flat out tell them that I will feed my kids what I want to and I will eat what I want to and they can get the fuck over it or I will be checking my child out for lunch. School food is crap. What is unhealthy about a sandwiches?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm gonna home school my dd when it comes time for it because all this bullshit I read on here about these schools makes my blood boil. I also can't stand other parents or their little shitheads so..yeah that's probably a bad idea.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)