Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please do not do this to your kids...

As a kindergarten teacher, I always have a few kids that cry on the first day of school. It is normal and usually I have to deal with parents that hover over their kids when they cry. They are annoying but at least they are showing that they care about their child. This parent just pissed me off.

These people just moved to my area. The school in their old district had not started yet so, when they moved here, he had to go for his first day. He did not go to pre-k so he was scared on his first day. His mother walked him to class and, when she started to leave, he began crying. I did what I normally did for all children who cry. I tried to get him involved but he grabbed onto his mother's pant legs. She turned to him and huffed "Let me go, cry baby!" and she swatted at him like she was going to hit him. He flopped down on the floor and started crying harder. His mother rolled her eyes and said "I've got to go. Can you handle the cry baby or do I just need to take him to my mother's" I told her that I could handle him and I would see if I could calm him down. She glared at him and then yelled "STOP CRYING! THERE IS NO REASON TO CRY! SHUT UP!" I told her the child was not going to calm down as long as she was screaming at him. Then she turned on me. "Oh, so you're going to tell me what to do with my own Goddamn kid? What do you know about raising kids?" (Hello! Four years of college and three, soon to be four kids, but yeah, what do I know about kids?). "Don't you judge me because you're knocked up and think you know everything about being a parent. I know how to talk to my own Goddamn kid and you are not better than I am!" and she turned around and stomped out. It was surprisingly easy to calm the child after "Mommy Dearest" left.

What a bitch? How can somone just talk to their own kid like that and then scream and cuss at his teacher in front of him, and like a room full of other kids? I feel sorry for the poor boy. The father picked him up and appolgized for his wife's behavior and promised that it would never happen again.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Replies (261-270):
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Wow. She is a real classy lady, huh?  Yet another prime example of the parents I wanted to avoid, by choosing private school.

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:22 PM

What was I supposed to do? I did all that I could do by telling her that screaming wouldn't help. I tried to have a "teaching moment" but I got screamed at instead. I didn't have a chance to teach her anything. The second I tried to say anything she cussed me out and then walked away. What was I supposed to do? Make her come back so I could teach her something? I am there to teach the kids, not the parents. I help them when they want help but she obviously thinks that she is the only one in the world that knows how to raise kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

I disagree after teaching for 25 yrs., this could of been a teaching moment, instead the teacher did NOTHING.  Lack of leadership skills.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is not a reaction to embarrassment. It's a mother lacking in patience and parenting skills. In 20 years of teaching preschool, I have never seen a parent react this way to embarrassment, ever.

I paid attention in college and to numerous training a in child welfare, development and psychology and in all of them this would be a sign of possible abuse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, if you paid attention in college you would know this was a reaction of embrassment.  Also, this would of been a good teaching moment for you.  BUT, you choose not to take that road.  Go back to school.  I never said anything like that OR allowed myself to act in that way towards ANY parent.  You are lacking leadership skills.

CafeMom Tickers

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:22 PM

There are psychos in private school too.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Wow. She is a real classy lady, huh?  Yet another prime example of the parents I wanted to avoid, by choosing private school.

CafeMom Tickers

grey7399
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I've seen women do that in my store.  Hell, I've seen in that homes I've been invited to.

At work, I can't do shit.  But other situations, I ask for permission to help out.  They usually say YES.  Not always graciously.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Im definately not. I stayed with my 3 yr old for a half hr when he cried his first day of preschool. Do i yell..yes but im not a cold hearted bitch

Quoting jessi2girls:

*sigh*, something tells me you are one of those mothers..

OR you just completely misread what I typed..

Just for your clarifications.. I didn't tell her to call CPS over this.. I said I would keep an eye on the child, because chances are there will be reason to notify CPS throughout the school year..

in otherwords.. first few days of class, and this is how this mother is acting? There is probably a lot more that goes on behind closed doors.. so, as a manditory reporter, I would have saw her actions as warning bells, that she may want to pay a little extra attention to details, such as bruises she may see later in the year,for example.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Yelling doesn't justify a cps call. Theres really no evidence. just your word vs her...as long as the kid is clean and fed and not physically abuused

Quoting jessi2girls:

I would keep a really close eye on that child, because something tells me that by the end of the school year, you will be notifying CPS a few times!!

ysmeine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Seriously! You don't leave a toddler in a public restroom so you wont have to deal with them. Not that I would have liked how she was dealing with him at the table either.

Quoting baquick:

OMG I would have been out back calling the cops! Wtf is that shit?? That's absolutely horrible!

Quoting Anonymous:

I have seen it happen too :/ I work at a restaurant. A group of people came in, and brought a small child (2?) with then at 10 at night. Kid kept trying to lay down in the booth to go to sleep, but the mom(I'm assuming) just kept yelling at him to get his a$$ up and eat. He finally just sat up and cried and cried. Mom was pissing and kept yelling at the kid to shut up. She ended up putting him in the men's restroom to lay on the floor to cry, and just went back to eating. I couldn't believe it, but my boss said we had to stay out if it.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

True, but there are not (at least at this particular school), people who who do not put so little value on their child's education.  It is not a 'as long as you pay, we don't care', kind of school. Which is why we chose this school.

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

There are psychos in private school too.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM

reading comprehension is your friend..

Do you know what the word "or" means? Do you know what it means when it's capitalized to put emphasis on it? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Im definately not. I stayed with my 3 yr old for a half hr when he cried his first day of preschool. Do i yell..yes but im not a cold hearted bitch

Quoting jessi2girls:

*sigh*, something tells me you are one of those mothers..

OR you just completely misread what I typed..

Just for your clarifications.. I didn't tell her to call CPS over this.. I said I would keep an eye on the child, because chances are there will be reason to notify CPS throughout the school year..

in otherwords.. first few days of class, and this is how this mother is acting? There is probably a lot more that goes on behind closed doors.. so, as a manditory reporter, I would have saw her actions as warning bells, that she may want to pay a little extra attention to details, such as bruises she may see later in the year,for example.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Yelling doesn't justify a cps call. Theres really no evidence. just your word vs her...as long as the kid is clean and fed and not physically abuused

Quoting jessi2girls:

I would keep a really close eye on that child, because something tells me that by the end of the school year, you will be notifying CPS a few times!!

lazycamper
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Not cool. I hope something stressful happened that morning and it will not be the attitude you deal with all year. I would be so embarrassed, I would never show my face at school, again.

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

Well, not at the front of the classroom. We were in front of the door and the kids were all busy. It was free play time. School starts at 8:30 but the doors open at 7:30 so the kids play until time for class to start.

Quoting lazycamper:

Did that happen in front of all the kids?!

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I'm hoping that she just had PMS or was off her meds or ran out of coffee that morning. I haven't seen her since. The child came to school on the bus the last couple of days. I don't have to deal with her bullshit. The little boy has been just peachy. Today he asked me what "Knocked up" meant. "Mommy said you were knocked up. What is that? Did it hurt?" I told him that that it just means I have a baby in my belly.

Quoting lazycamper:

Not cool. I hope something stressful happened that morning and it will not be the attitude you deal with all year. I would be so embarrassed, I would never show my face at school, again.

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

Well, not at the front of the classroom. We were in front of the door and the kids were all busy. It was free play time. School starts at 8:30 but the doors open at 7:30 so the kids play until time for class to start.

Quoting lazycamper:

Did that happen in front of all the kids?!

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)