Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

breast feeding and co sleeping past 1 year, a warning...

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM
  • 14 Replies
O.k., just to clarify, I am all for it, and do both, but there is something I didn't realize would become a problem that has. My older two were b.f'd and supplemented with formula, and I stopped b.f'ing d.s. at 6 months and o.d.d. at 9 months. I co-slept with both of them until they were weaned, at which point I put them to bed with a bottle of water, and it worked great.

I had no trouble weaning either of them and no trouble getting them to sleep in their own bed. Y.d.d., however, was a different story. I was determined this time to reach my goal of b.f'ing for a full year and not supplementing at all, and I succeeded! Before I year of age, she didn't even know what a bottle was.

The problem is, now she's 15 months old and I am having a lot of trouble weaning her, and am scared to even TRY making her sleep in her crib, because I know she's not going to go for it. She wants to nurse so often it's hard to get anything done, and even though she'll take a bottle or sippy cup of water or juice sometimes, the majority of the time she just bats it away, says, "NO NO NO!" And demands the breast. I am so ready to have my body and my side of the bed back to myself, but without dealing with a constantly angry baby, I don't know how.

I'm not discouraging exclusive breast feeding or co sleeping by any means. I still feel that both are best for the baby, just harder than I thought.
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM
I didn't bf but I did co sleep and finally now at 6 he's exclusively in his own bed...it's been tough lol good luck!!!
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM
I breastfeed dd (17mo) I nurse her about 30 mins before bed time now. After a month of that I moved her to her crib. If she wakes I nurse her once and the other times I pat her back. For me once they are old enough to understand its bedtime and yooure not abandoning them its ok to let her cry dor short periods while patting her back.
I dont like cio...and dont think its ok for infants. But toddlers and older babies can better understand why and usually adapt very quickly.
loisl25
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Six YEARS!? Yikes! Don't scare me!

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't bf but I did co sleep and finally now at 6 he's exclusively in his own bed...it's been tough lol good luck!!!

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gabriella (: on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Ehh.
My son is two & still nurses to sleep.
Then I take him to his bed & he sleeps all night. Same with my ten month old.
She gets taken to her bed & sleeps all night too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM
2 moms liked this
This is where boundaries are useful. I understand.
loisl25
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to have to try that.

Quoting svolkov:

I breastfeed dd (17mo) I nurse her about 30 mins before bed time now. After a month of that I moved her to her crib. If she wakes I nurse her once and the other times I pat her back. For me once they are old enough to understand its bedtime and yooure not abandoning them its ok to let her cry dor short periods while patting her back.

I dont like cio...and dont think its ok for infants. But toddlers and older babies can better understand why and usually adapt very quickly.

PoplarGrove
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM

There are days I regret it with my 3rd dd. She's 7 and in my bed right now.  Most nights she goes to sleep in her own room but by midnight she's in my bed.

If you want to wean her start putting cabbage leaves in your bra.  It dries up the milk and makes it taste sour (like when it often dries up in the last few months of pregnancy - mother nature's way of weaning the older child).  She'll start to not want it as much because it tastes "icky".  

CheesyKitty
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Get her a toddler bed or just a mattress on th e floor. My dd refused her crib as she hated feeling confined away from me, However once she realised she can come find me if she needs me she sleeps though the night in her crib bout 40% of the time with the other 60% being her coming in at 5am.

It is a chore gettting her to sleep though, I have to sit in the room til shes out, she just turned 2 on Monday.

loisl25
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I could deal with that. At least we'd have our bed back.

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

Ehh.

My son is two & still nurses to sleep.

Then I take him to his bed & he sleeps all night. Same with my ten month old.

She gets taken to her bed & sleeps all night too.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM

EEEEKKKKKK that scares me, lol I evict them at 2 years, lol

Quoting loisl25:

Six YEARS!? Yikes! Don't scare me!

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN