Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Disability story

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:24 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ok, I wasn't sure how to title this, so forgive me.

My dh, dd, and I went to a sci-fi convention at the beginning of August. We had a BLAST! There was one incident, however, that made me laugh, and it had nothing to do with the guest speakers or fun costumes…

I was walking into a panel room and looking for seats to save for dh and dd (they were on a potty break), and I walked around the front to the middle aisle to scope out seats. I saw a gentleman pulling forward and behind me on an electric scooter. I assumed he was moving or leaving, and kept walking. A woman on the front row said, rather rudely and loudly, "Um, Excuse me? Do you not SEE that man in his wheelchair?" I turned toward her and said, "Actually, no ma'am, I'm sorry, I didn't; I'm visually-impaired." (It's true; I'm legally blind and have only an 18° visual field; apparently, the gentleman was backing up and I didn't see him.) She got considerably quieter and said, "Oh, ok." in kind of a deflated voice." Her friend, trying to make light of an awkward situation, said, "Yeah, I feel like that some days…blind in one eye, can't see out of the other!" I smiled and answered, "That's pretty true for me; I'm legally blind in this eye (pointing to left eye), and this one (pointing to right) is made of glass!"

I could see just well enough to see the woman who yelled at me sink a little further into her chair…lol.

Interestingly, the man on the scooter said nothing at all. Another man complimented me on my glass eye, saying "I would've never guessed. That's an awesome prosthetic!"

Moral of the story: don't judge. Convention hall chairs don't hide embarrassed people well. ;)
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katherine50
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Yea my dh gets that sometimes lost his eye due to a fishing accident. He says that in his other eye ever since the accident there a big blurry ring around the outside like tunnel vision. He trys to pour things and misses. People also stare. I hate that.
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:34 AM
2 moms liked this

CalicoMeezer
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Well, sometimes I use my white cane (and I 'm pretty certain I will next year; I should've known better) for that reason, so people will know. "hey, lady can't see!" It will also make more sense to people why I'm freaking out when dd's like three feet away.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:38 AM

I hope you got a giggle from it. I know I just did.

CalicoMeezer
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM
2 moms liked this
I totally did. Still do. ;)

Quoting ColleenF30:

I hope you got a giggle from it. I know I just did.

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Eh people can say stupid things and when you tell them you're disabled, when they think you aren't it is a funny thing. It is like watching them shove their foot in their mouth. I have had a few of those moments.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:44 AM
This. My DD gets it constantly, especially on public transport. Thank goodness the drivers know her enough to make a passenger move for her.

Quoting Ber-Lynn:

Eh people can say stupid things and when you tell them you're disabled, when they think you aren't it is a funny thing. It is like watching them shove their foot in their mouth. I have had a few of those moments.

CalicoMeezer
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM
The funny part to me is that she was about to fly up my nose for being insensitive to someone else's disability. :)

Quoting Ber-Lynn:

copasetic1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:48 AM

sidesplittinglaughter 

AngelSinger
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Great story!

When dh and I were first dating, we were hanging out at my mom's house, watching a movie. My dh remarked, "Wow...the volume is up way too high! What are you, deaf?" To which I replied, "Yeah, I am. I'm deaf in my right ear." He turned beet red and couldn't stop apologizing. We laugh about it now. And he's never said, "What are you, deaf/blind" to anyone ever again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN