Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Grandmother Blames Library for Letting 9-Year-Old Check Out Erotic Book

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM
  • 128 Replies

Grandmother Blames Library for Letting 9-Year-Old Check Out Erotic Book

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

library blamed erotic bookAn Indiana grandmother is furious after her 9-year-old grandson was allowed to check out Night Games by Crystal Jordan via self check-out at the library. The book, apparently, is a sexually explicit erotic novel and is wholly inappropriate for young children. That much is true. But the library was fairly unapologetic, telling the grandmother that it's her responsibility to keep her kids from reading that stuff.

The question: Was the library in the right? I am going with yes.

While I agree with the grandmother that it's disturbing -- and lord knows I would be bothered -- the library is right here. It's a public library, which means they can and should have a lot of books for people to choose from and some of those books may not be for children.

See video here.

The reality is, as parents or guardians, it's our job to protect our kids from what they see. It's one thing to keep things out of a school library, but even that is a slippery slope.

Some of my earliest "erotic" memories come from stealing books from my parents' friends and reading them. Obviously my parents didn't condone this, but hey, they should have kept a better eye on me, right?

We are parents. As parents it's OUR job and our job only to protect our kids. I am sorry for this grandmother. That is upsetting. But the library is right here. As a public library, their job is to make sure the public has access to books.

Hiding books from people isn't the job of the library, and much as I don't think a 9-year-old should be reading that stuff, at least he's reading, right? He's showing an avid interest in books! It's not all bad.

Do you think the library is at fault here?

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobinBright
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM
13 moms liked this
The library is not responsible for censoring readership. It would be wholly inappropriate for them to do so.
PhoenixsMommy10
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Was she using her own library card? Here cards have restrictions for minors (unless the parent overrides it). They can only check out books in the children's, young adult, or non fiction sections.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
LOL! I'm going to side with the library. The grandmother SHOULD have been monitoring what the child was checking out.
GaleJ
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I am in a somewhat different place on this. I think that the library shouldn't have self check out, I think an important part of being a librarian is interacting with the patrons of the library and especially when it comes to children I think that one of the functions of the public library is some monitoring of what is checked out. I don't, in this case blame the library, the people raising this child should be monitoring what she is checking out and reading but I do wish that the librarians were able to be more hands on with patrons, it is an important function and I believe part of what their very special job is all about. 

mommacatof3
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

The news report doesn't tell you whose card the boy used.Not this really matters. I've personally never heard of a self check out at a library. If it was a librarian doing the check out process they would have made him put it back. At least they would here. The grandmother stated he thought it was a book about video games. What on Earth video games is he playing if he judged that just by the cover? There are warnings on the back stating it's "sexually explicit".  I think they are both at fault.

shanesmom24
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

wow their is erotic books in the library?  gees i should renew my card.  i haven't been to the library in at least 15 years.  hey things happen. parents need to parent, kids will be kids.

QueenofHouse11
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I think the guardian of the child is the one that should take responsibility because it's not the librarians job to parent your kids

krazymom2boyz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Yeah...no. It is a parents job to parent their child (ren), not the libraries. I know I double check my kids books, just because I want to make sure they are age appropriate. As for self check outs, I love them! The library around here is very busy, so being able to go through a self check out, rather than wait in a long line is very nice!
Girl-Friday
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM
this was posted yesterday, its the grandmother's fault , she should have checked what the kid she brought to the library had.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM

When my eldest and I used to go to the library - I would check what books she had before I allowed her to borrow them. Not for reasons like this - but because I was trying to curb her obsession with a particular author and I wanted her to have no more than 4 books of hers at a time (Ann M.Martin anyone?) But I do remember one particular time recieving a call from the library when DD went there herself (at 15) and borrowed some books on sexual education - they said it was their protocall to notifiy parents of minors if a flagged subject came up. I think more libraries should have that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)