Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Grandmother Blames Library for Letting 9-Year-Old Check Out Erotic Book

Posted by   + Show Post

Grandmother Blames Library for Letting 9-Year-Old Check Out Erotic Book

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

library blamed erotic bookAn Indiana grandmother is furious after her 9-year-old grandson was allowed to check out Night Games by Crystal Jordan via self check-out at the library. The book, apparently, is a sexually explicit erotic novel and is wholly inappropriate for young children. That much is true. But the library was fairly unapologetic, telling the grandmother that it's her responsibility to keep her kids from reading that stuff.

The question: Was the library in the right? I am going with yes.

While I agree with the grandmother that it's disturbing -- and lord knows I would be bothered -- the library is right here. It's a public library, which means they can and should have a lot of books for people to choose from and some of those books may not be for children.

See video here.

The reality is, as parents or guardians, it's our job to protect our kids from what they see. It's one thing to keep things out of a school library, but even that is a slippery slope.

Some of my earliest "erotic" memories come from stealing books from my parents' friends and reading them. Obviously my parents didn't condone this, but hey, they should have kept a better eye on me, right?

We are parents. As parents it's OUR job and our job only to protect our kids. I am sorry for this grandmother. That is upsetting. But the library is right here. As a public library, their job is to make sure the public has access to books.

Hiding books from people isn't the job of the library, and much as I don't think a 9-year-old should be reading that stuff, at least he's reading, right? He's showing an avid interest in books! It's not all bad.

Do you think the library is at fault here?

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
We have self checkout at our library, although its down half the time. I don't think the kids cards are restricted. I always looked at my kids books before they checked out mostly because I know what I used to try to get away with lol.

Quoting mommacatof3:

The news report doesn't tell you whose card the boy used.Not this really matters. I've personally never heard of a self check out at a library. If it was a librarian doing the check out process they would have made him put it back. At least they would here. The grandmother stated he thought it was a book about video games. What on Earth video games is he playing if he judged that just by the cover? There are warnings on the back stating it's "sexually explicit".  I think they are both at fault.

nikabear
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM
With my kids library cards they have restrictions. No adult books, r rated movies or non rated movies. If they try to at the self checkout it will not allow the book or movie to be checked out..... I don't blame the library at all..........
Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:19 AM
The kid obviously knew what they were looking for haha. Grandma should keep a better eye. Not libraries Responsibility.
angevil53
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:19 AM
If the parent didn't put restrictions on the card then that is certainly ageism. And if we start telling who can read what and when then that sounds a lot like oppression. Soon wives wont be allowed to get books without husband's consent. Don't laugh it's happened before.
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I started reading romance novels around that age. Maybe I was 10 but oh well.
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Our library has a self check out option, and no restrictions for a child's library card.  Our library is fairly large, so the children's section has it's own floor, and check out.  But, nothing would prevent a kindergartner from selecting a book in the adult section, and using the self check out.

art.diva
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM
We have self checkout in our library, and I think the library was right. They can't police what kids checkout, especially if they're allowed (given permission from their parents/guardian) to use self checkout.
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM

The kid chose self-checkout so he wouldn't have to deal with a librarian.  If Grandma thinks he thought the book was about video games, then she needs to worry about what video games he's playing because the cover of the book was pretty explicit.  He knew what he was doing.  Grandma needs to keep a better eye on him instead of blaming others if she doesn't want him exposed to certain things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I fault both the Library and the grandmother. There should be someone at self check out so nothing like this happens. If I was the parent I would probably think about getting a lawyer. 

ksueditz
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

i work at a public library, and my director is currently taking a class discussing the "laws" of the library. we could get in trouble for NOT having certain kinds of material, b/c we would be in fact infringing on their rights to read it. we do screen books before we put them out. we have the 50 shades of gray series, but we opted not to offer, "black orchid," by roxanne carr b/c there was no plot, just sex. we thought about having a "special" section for erotica, but were afraid that would attract children more, so we have been marking it as fiction, but earmarking it as erotica in our catagloging. as for making a child put it back, we are not allowed to tell them they can't check it out, but we are encouraged to encourage them to make other choices. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)