Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you take your child out of school for a vacation?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 505 Replies
12 moms liked this

I will be attending a scientific conference in Lisbon at the beginning of December. I'm taking my son (12 years old, 8th grade) with me.

The conference itself is Wednestay, Thursday and Friday. I'm taking my son out of school for that whole week and up to Wednesday of the next. We'll fly there the Friday evening before and go back the Sunday morning after the conference, and use all the time except the three days during the conference as a vacation. I'm gonna give him the couple of days of the next week to recover from the time zone shift before going back.

Some people I know are outraged that I would even consider this. I don't see the big deal. He is very well ahead academically of his peers, we've even been considering having him skip a grade, but he decided he wasn't up for it. I have no reason to think it will be difficult for him to catch up, and I consider a trip abroad and getting to know another culture to be a more valuable learning experience than a week in school. Obviously I wouldn't take him out if he was lagging behind in any way.

Opinions? Would you do it?

ETA #1: Thanks to everyone who suggested giving the teachers a heads up and asking to have his work ahead of time so that he can complete it while I'm at the conference. I would have thought of it eventually, but you all saved me a great deal of headache over it!

ETA #2: Wow! A feature! Took me a while to realize, because I don't see features from my phone, so all I saw was the comment blow-up! 

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustBreath2013
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, after dh comes back from deployment we always o. It is important and they still do school work online.
2ArfarasMom
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this
No I wouldn't. A day or two maybe. But a week, no I would not. School is more important IMO
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
We do, but only if their grades are up to our standards.
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM
31 moms liked this
Absolutely. He'll learn a bunch on your trip that he can't in the classroom.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I would and have. Many times :)

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

We have done it and we are doing it again.

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM
7 moms liked this
Without a second thought I would. School is important yes but so is life and family and adventures.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I used to take 2wks at spring break and the last two Wks of school for vacations for my sd I don't think you are nuts
freemane
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I really don't see the problem. Of course I wouldn't want my kid to miss school if they were lagging behind or having trouble with their lessons, but if he's doing fine, why miss a great opportunity?
Uniquecoolio
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM
5 moms liked this
I'd do it. C'mon, everyone knows our schools have massive amounts of wasted, useless, bullshit time. This will be time well spent that will actually further their lives. Enjoy!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN