Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They lost my child! WWYD?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 34 Replies
My 5 year old started kindergarten Monday, being the first day if school my husband and I dropped him off and picked him up. Tuesday he rode the bus to school and was to ride the bus home. I work 12 hour shifts in a Hospital from 6 am to 6 pm and my husband called me at 2:30 pm after the bus ran by our house, panicking because our son did not get off the school bus. I calm him down telling him maybe the teacher took him to the pickup area mistakenly thinking I was coming to get him. So I ask to leave and go get my son.

Each child goes with either the teacher or the volunteers to their designated pick up area, they make sure the child goes with the right person or gets on the correct school bus. Additionally they have either their bus number or PU written on their hand.

My husband calls me back, tells me he called the school and they don't know where he is, the teacher doesn't know, he's not in the pickup area and he didn't get on his bus. Okay, now I'm panicking! I get to the school and the gates are locked up all around, I spot a janitor and he let's me in, I tell him what's going on and he points me to the office saying, "someone might still be here". I walk in the office and there is my son! They tell me nonchalantly, "he got on the wrong bus, the bus driver brought him back when she dropped everyone off". I didn't know how to respond.

We get home and get settled and I'm about to leave back to work and a truck pulls in behind me, it's his teacher! She is about in tears herself, apologizing over and over, saying she doesn't know what happened, how he got lost. I tell her that sometimes my son doesn't pay attention and may have gotten out of line, and I recommend to her to keep a checklist so they realize right away they are missing a child.

The more I think about it, the more it bothers me. What is the point of then having the number on their hand if the driver isn't going to check it. The bus driver didn't even realize he wasn't one of her riders when he got on, he could have easily followed another child off the bus and been lost, thankfully he didn't. My MIL says I should contact the school board, other people have told me just be thankful nothing happened and let it go. WWYD?

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like a simple mistake. If it happens again I would be angry
Saydar
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM

If they have rules set in place to prevent this (which it soulds like they do) then they need to be following them! I'd raise a stink. Not to the point of trying to get anyone fired but at least make sure that the school is following their own rules about these situations!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I wouldn't go to the school board about it. You alerted the principal. The teacher was obviously distraught over the situation as well. And you can be sure they will be double checking from now on to make sure he doesn't get on the wrong bus again.
AngelRT
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
3 moms liked this

I would express my feelings in a letter to the transportation department and to the principal of the school. I would eplain why I felt it was necessary to bring this to someones attention higher up. I would also let them know that you realize it was a mistake but that it should really be used as a learning tool to prevent this kind of thing from happening again in the future! 

I wouldn't make a big fight over it but I could not just let it go. 

CBMMOM
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I'd be grateful he was alright,and still be making a few phone calls,just so I knew the teachers,principal and bus drivers were a little more vigilant in the future. And I'd be grilling my son on remembering his bus number!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I would be calling the school personally. I would address all your concerns.

I have had my son "lost" plenty of times. He is autistic and wonders. IN preschool, and like once a year. they have lost him.  THey marked him absent and all. I was livid.

Please call. They may think you are ok with this. They need to keep a better eye.  What if he got off and someone took him? You couldn't find him? ALl beause ofthe school?

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I got on the wrong bus in K5. LOL It took them 3 HOURS to return me to the school. My mom looked like she was gonna pass out. I think I would call the school and make sure the teacher uses a checklist from now on. My sons school has a huge number card that hangs around their necks to let everyone know the proper bus. 

Photo: -Randi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

No, I sure as hell would NOT let it go. This happen to me, my daughter was to be picked up and since I was 2 minutes late getting to the class her they put her " on a bus". It was a rule of their that I was not ever told about. When a parent is not there on time they stick the kids on a bus, doesn't matter the what bus and the teachers leave. Yeah, she didn't stay in that pre K school....

scarletmeshell
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM
I am so glad he is safe. I would speak to the Principal and the person in charge of trasportation for the school. Going to the school board will do nothing at this point.
illinoismommy83
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I am sure the scare yesterday is enough for the school to be more diligent. I am sure they will be checking that kids are in the correct place from now on.

Can you attach a tag to his backpack that says his bus number and remind him to double check he is getting on the right bus each day?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured