Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you make instead of buying?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM
  • 56 Replies

At our house, we try to make alot of things instead of buying it.

I make a 3 gallon bucket of laundry soap and it lasts a family of 7 for 2 months. it costs us maybe 2-3 dollars every time I make it.

We make our own dishwasher soap which is cheap as well. although sometimes we use the store bought off and on, to keep from buildup on the sides of the dishwasher.

I don't buy cleaners, i make them out of borax (since we use that to make laundry soap) a bit of washing soda, liquid dish soap. And I also use a vinegar/water mixture sometimes. all depends on what I am cleaning.

I've made my own fabreeze out of liquid fabric softener and water, sometimes I add vinegar to it.

I am looking into making my own soap from scratch, but have to invest on the stainless steel items to make it. 

We can our own veggies, tomatoes, and have mad our own dried fruits and jams (all grown fro our garden) 

What things do you make instead of buying it. 

We are a Homeschooling loving, Non-vaccinate, Christ centered, Bible believing,Organic, Homeopathic, Breastfeeding, Pro-Life, Pro-2nd Amendment, Scrapbooking, Book Writing, Figure Skating coaching, Gymnastic doing Family.  This is our choice and we love it.

My blogs

Short stories http://creativeme1755.blogspot.com/ 

Daily Blog http://icegirl1755.blogspot.com/  

My Youtube. http://youtube.com/icegirl1755

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazygirl907
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Taco seasoning, bread, I tried making my own laundry soap, it was not successful haha! And I make my household cleaners. 

Msivrath
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Very cool! Maybe u can sell em too?

I dont make anything its interesting though (excpet cook)

I tried to bake, but found ingredients to be more expensive than just buying the darn cake LOL

Isabelles_mommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

our laundry soap is very easy to make. I use 1 bar of soap that i ground up (we have an easy grinder that makes it very easy to do)  2 cups of borax, 2 cups of washing soda, put in a put with 4 cups of water, bring to boil and when everything has dissolved pour it into a big 4-5 gallon bucket. Add cold water (we have a line marked for 3 gallons) and let it sit overnight, it will gel. just stir before using and it works great.

Quoting crazygirl907:

Taco seasoning, bread, I tried making my own laundry soap, it was not successful haha! And I make my household cleaners. 

crazygirl907
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Thanks I will try that!

Quoting Isabelles_mommy:

our laundry soap is very easy to make. I use 1 bar of soap that i ground up (we have an easy grinder that makes it very easy to do)  2 cups of borax, 2 cups of washing soda, put in a put with 4 cups of water, bring to boil and when everything has dissolved pour it into a big 4-5 gallon bucket. Add cold water (we have a line marked for 3 gallons) and let it sit overnight, it will gel. just stir before using and it works great.

Quoting crazygirl907:

Isabelles_mommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM

My MIL can't eat anything processed, so she makes just about everything from scratch and mostly organic. it is very expensive. But since moving in with them in Dec, we have felt a world of difference. We actually went through a detox period where we all got sick. We also use the all organic garden to help with cost of items, Reseeding the garden is free, we use from the seeds the garden produces. It's work but i believe it's worth it. 

I don't sell anything, but maybe after making the soap and I get more confident with it, maybe..

Quoting Msivrath:

I tried to bake, but found ingredients to be more expensive than just buying the darn cake LOL

Msivrath
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Thats cool, I know of ppl selling their detergent recipes for others to make and sell. Things are soooo expensive these days
Quoting Isabelles_mommy:

My MIL can't eat anything processed, so she makes just about everything from scratch and mostly organic. it is very expensive. But since moving in with them in Dec, we have felt a world of difference. We actually went through a detox period where we all got sick. We also use the all organic garden to help with cost of items, Reseeding the garden is free, we use from the seeds the garden produces. It's work but i believe it's worth it. 

I don't sell anything, but maybe after making the soap and I get more confident with it, maybe..

Quoting Msivrath:

Acid
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Bread, Butter, Mayo, Cakesters, granola bars, fruit snacks, bagels,

I also make my own cleaners and I have my own version of Febreeze.

I keep wanting to do my own laundry soap but I never remember what I need when I'm out.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I clean with vinegar & water often. I've been thinking about making my own fabric softener but I haven't tried it yet.

2Gs
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Taco seasoning is a big one.  

Laundry soap.

Chicken nuggets.  Mine are so much better than store bought.  I do not do that for conveince though.. we do it for taste.

swishyskirt
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I bake bread.  And make our own marinara, cream sauce, etc... I recieved a whole bunch of "top-shelf" cleaning supplies as a wedding gift .  Seriously one of the most thoughtful gifts we recieved! lol  However, when they run out, I'll make my own stuff.  I heard that lemon juice can really give your home a nice smell as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN