Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Mom Secrets - for the working mom

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
2 moms liked this

I am still reading through the post of the "mom secrets" and a lot of these sound like great ideas.  My favorite so far was the mom who makes all of her meals on Sundays.

Others, while great, just aren't feasible for those with busy schedules (like immediately taking off clothing and treating a stain).  So I'd like to hear some tips for those who have a busy schedule to help organize and keep down on clutter or ways to manage time better in the evenings.  Mine and DH's schedules are so busy that there's not a lot of time to clean during the week and we are spending our weekends catching up.  While I'm not sure I can keep a spotless house ALL the time, I'd love to hear ideas on how to stay more organized when you don't have a lot of time.

Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/18946590/Whats_your_biggest_mom_secret?next=41#replies

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM

bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

bump!!

lilbit53009
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM

the crock pot is the best thing ever for cutting time out in having to make dinner when getting home

i (try to) make lunches at night and pick out our clothes/iron for the next day to make things in the morning go smoother

i'll throw a load of laundry in while i'm making dinner, so it doesn't pile up to do for the weekend (we spend the weekends catching up on cleaning too)

sometimes on thurs/friday (if my week at work isn't that busy) i'll clean a room a night after my son goes to sleep so that it's one less room to clean over the weekend

hmmm i'm trying to think of more lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

These are great ideas, thank you!

My newest routine is having my oldest do her homework while I'm cooking dinner.  Since I have to start on cooking right after we get home, it's easiest to get both things done at once.

Quoting lilbit53009:

the crock pot is the best thing ever for cutting time out in having to make dinner when getting home

i (try to) make lunches at night and pick out our clothes/iron for the next day to make things in the morning go smoother

i'll throw a load of laundry in while i'm making dinner, so it doesn't pile up to do for the weekend (we spend the weekends catching up on cleaning too)

sometimes on thurs/friday (if my week at work isn't that busy) i'll clean a room a night after my son goes to sleep so that it's one less room to clean over the weekend

hmmm i'm trying to think of more lol

SaraBethKY
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM
3 moms liked this

The tip I gave on that post would be good for here too...it saves me time and effort!-->

Instead of putting socks in the general laundry basket each family member gets a small lingerie bag for their socks. That way pairs don't get separated by sticking to other clothers and each family member can match up their own socks very quickly!

fraujones
by Mommytron on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I've learned that if I wake up an hour earlier than I used to, I can can get so much cleaning done while my family is sleeping. The lack of sleep sucks though!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I have a list of chores on the wall. Some are daily some are weekly some are biweekly.

Every day, everyone in the house chooses 2 chores from the daily list. Every Saturday, we choose one from the weekly list, and every Sunday from the biweekly list.

We are a family of 4. Dh works 18 hour days 4 days a week. I work 12 hr. overnights. Kids are 11 and 5 (asd)

Here are the lists:

Daily (choose2)
Wash dishes
Wash and dry one load of laundry
Fold laundry and put away
Wipe down kitchen counters and stove top
Wipe down bathroom sink and clean toilet
Swiffer the floors
Dust and clean mirrors
Pick up toys
Empty trash
(There are 9 daily jobs and only 4 of us to do them. One of them simply doesn't get done each day and is caught up the next day. 5yr old with asd needs help doing his, and typically gets the ones he likes to do, swiffering and picking up toys)

Weekly

Mop the floors
Clean out the refrigerator
Wash the cars
Wipe down the appliances

Bi-weekly

Clean out the cabinets
Clean the porch
Wash the dog
Mow the lawn

In all, the daily chores usually only take a half hour per person and the weekly and biweekly chores are one extra hour. My little one can't really do any of the bigger weeks/bi-weekly chores. So he takes on an extra daily chore and I do two of the big ones.

When I have a day off during the week, I like to fill ziplock bags with crockpot meals and freeze them. No cooking, just prep. I put it in the fridge the night before, and it defrosts enough to just dump it out into the crockpot the next morning.

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I'm a full-time working mom with a commute that sometimes ranges, so time is of the essence in our house.

* I'm the one that does most of the cooking on Sundays or Saturdays if there is time.  I actually try to come up with a meal plan on Thursday (I usually do this while sitting on the train).  I do the bulk of the cooking and prepping on Sunday so that I do as little as possible during the week.  During the work week, my aim is to have at least 3 cooked meals a day and to make enough for leftovers and to re-purpose.  I also make stuff to freeze and portion it off so that it's easy to heat up.

* I clean as I go.  So, while DD is playing in the tub I'm wiping down the bathroom counters and cleaning the toilet. 

* Same goes for kitchen - clean as you go. 

* I do laundry several times a week to keep the mound small and mangeable.  I'll put in a load before I leave for work usually.

* I run the dishwasher in the morning before I leave the house every couple of days.  This way, we're not rushing around during the morning rush to put away dishes.

* We lay out our clothes for the next day the night before. 

* We pack lunches the night before too.

* We have snack drawers in the house.  They are easily accessible by DD, who is 3.  They are filled with healthy snacks for her to grab.

* Ziplock bags are our friends.  Any toy with small pieces go into a ziploc bag all bundled together.  So, all of DD's tea set items are in a large ziploc bag...all of the little pieces that come as sets are together in a ziploc bag.  When she's done playing with something, before she gets something else she needs to put it away first.  This saves from having little pieces of toys floating around.

* The crockpot is your friend too!  Set it and forget it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Great idea!  I do that for the baby's socks but never thought about doing it for everyone else's!

Quoting SaraBethKY:

The tip I gave on that post would be good for here too...it saves me time and effort!-->

Instead of putting socks in the general laundry basket each family member gets a small lingerie bag for their socks. That way pairs don't get separated by sticking to other clothers and each family member can match up their own socks very quickly!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

LOL, I think I would be a zombie if I did that.  I wake up at 5:45 and even that is a struggle :)

Quoting fraujones:

I've learned that if I wake up an hour earlier than I used to, I can can get so much cleaning done while my family is sleeping. The lack of sleep sucks though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)