Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So f-ing pissed (language)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

I'm going back to school this fall. I have decided to get another degree as I have been a SAHM for 6 years now and want to go back to work, but I do not want to go back to doing what I was doing before I got pregnant. Anyway I have decided to go back to school and get a new degree. So I applied for school and applied for financial aid as we can't afford to pay out of pocket. I got approved for financial aid and after my classes are paid I get an extra amount of money to buy books etc. So the school sent me a Discover card that they put the extra funds on. I got the card at the beginning of the month.

On August 9, my financial aid came in and they paid off the balance for my classes. This is after I already paid 30% for my classes because I had to make some sort of payment by August 1 on top of a $50 fee for making a payment plan because we didn't have the funds to pay for the classes all at once. Now I have been checking my card everyday for the past 9 business days waiting for my money to come in so I can order my books. I finally couldn't wait any longer as classes start on Monday and I am ordering my books online because if I order them online (brand new) I will be paying $75 less than renting used books from the campus bookstore. So I sucked it up and ordered all my books yesterday thinking that for sure I will get the money from the school very soon. I'm not going to get my books in time for school to start on Monday, the bookstore doesn't even have any books left they are all on back order. And I still haven't gotten my money. 

What the fuck are they waiting for? Don't they realize that people need the money to buy books and supplies? What gives them the right to hold onto our money for almost a month? Is this the common practice at all universities now? Or is it just the one I am going to? I'm seriously considering transferring to another university next semester if this isn't common practice at all universities. I have had nothing buy problems getting things taken care of this summer because this place has such poor communication and expects you to do everything online. No one is ever at the school so that you can talk to them and ask questions. I'm just frustrated and pissed off. I'm not going to be prepared for my classes at all and my instructors are going to get a bad impression of me because this. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM

they always put a hold on it for new students. My best friend was complaining about this last year when she started. After this first semester you will get it way faster. 

Photo: -Randi.

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Lol this happens to my baby sister and roommate every time roommates were supposed to be dispersed Tuesday,then Wednesday, then today now maybe tommorow. He hasn't bough books yet and starts Tuesday. My sister was supposed to get them last Monday and still hasn't gotten them:( I know it sucks I'm sorry:( third time I have said that today.
gabyangy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

At my daughters university they do not get the money until after drop/add.  School starts on Monday and they will not get their financial aid monies till September 3, 2013.  Look at your school website and they should have a calendar when the monies will be disburse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)