Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Disgusted with the Zoo we Saw--update-sent email-here it is

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

Some of the animal habitats were just not appropriate at all...they had two huge sows, with eight piglets in a 14x14 pen with nothing but sand....the zookeeper girl came out, and threw a small deli sized container of food all over the sand for them...pigs don't live in sand...

the tiger was in a cage much too small for him, and hardly any shade and a stagnent cement pond of water...he was pacing nonstop, panting, under obvious duress in those conditions... 

meanwhile on the other side, there are two birds in a habitat that would be more suitable for the tiger...LOTS of room, plenty of shade and a running stream thru it....

I am going to contact the zoo to see what i can do to make some of these living areas better for these animals..

NOT all were bad... the permanently injured eagles they had were in a beautiful habitat, as were the small monkeys and birds

EDIT

heres  the email i just sent to the san diego zoo asking if they know of any help...i wrote to san diego because i was there, and they are by far the best zoo in the country.  

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to request information on how to help our local zoo.  After a visit to the Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport, Ct. yesterday, I found some of the animals to be in less than desirable habitats.  Their Tiger was in a habitat much too small, dirty, little water or shade, lots of concrete, and this tiger seemed to be under great stress, as he did nothing but pace repeatedly back and forth, panting.  After seeing the beautiful tiger display in the San Diego Zoo, I thought it would be in the best interest of helping Beardsley Zoo, to inquire if the San Diego Zoo would know of resources/funds to help maintain/improve the animal habitats that are in desperate need of reconditioning.  Many habitats/cages are old and need complete rehabilitation, and do not provide the necessary stimuli for caged animals.  It is my desire to help this zoo anyway I can, to achieve to make these animals living their lives in captivity to be a totally positive experience for them, and for visitors to enjoy seeing our precious animals.  Thank you for any information you can provide.  

Sincerely, 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

someone from our zoo is supposed to call me back about my phone call...

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tarakay0417
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM
That is really sad. I would contact the zoo as well. Maybe even find an organization that could help as well.
mellyfury
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM

=(

lovemyairman150
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM
We just went to the zoo yesterday and I felt pretty bad about how small some of the enclosures were too. I think it's all a matter of funding, but in your case, I would definitely try and at least speak to someone regarding a possible switch with the tigers and the birds.
Liz132
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Most pigs live their entire lives in worse conditions. Not saying that's right just that they probably felt it was appropriate.  I think it would be fine for you to contact the zoo and give your opinion.

JustBreath2013
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Was it Aloha zoo?
EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Aww. 😔
homeschoolmom9
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM

We absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE zoos! That zoo doesnt sound that good though

Happily married homeschooling mommy to 6 year old Shelby, 3 year old Marianne, 16 month old Carly and soon to be Gladys!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I grew up going to some of the worst zoos in the country - NJ late 70's/early 80's.

Then we moved to FL where we had access to Sea World and Busch Gardens.  Minus the whale & dolphin tanks, what an AMAZING difference.

Zoos make me sad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)