Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My DDs hamster is evil!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 19 Replies
So my DDs bday was Wednesday and she has been asking for a hamster since her last bday. I thought last year she wasn't responsible enough for it. But over the last six months she has taken on all the duties for our dogs including picking up their monster poop. (I fill in when she is at a friends) this was all to prove she was responsible enough for the hamster. The dogs weren't hers to begin with so they were not her responsiblity. And the cat is mine I do all the care for it.

So given her show of ability to care for a pet on her own we gave in and got her the hamster for her bday. The thing is downright evil!!!! It bites and not a little nip I mean hard!! I have two bandages on two fingers from that little mother and my SO has one as well. The rodent hasn't bitten my dd thus far. And the pet store has a no return policy unless it does via natural causes in which case they will refund or give another one.
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM

That's typical of hamsters I think.  Sometimes they have to get used to being handled.  If someone 20 times your size picked YOU up wouldn't you bite too?  Ask the pet store or get a book to help you train the hamster to being handled.

Newfie_Mom
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Lmao yes I would and kick and scream and a million other things. We got her a hamster socialization and other helpful hamster information book with the hamster. I still think its evil!!! :)

PS the main reason I wanted to make sure she was fully ready to take care of it is I don't like them and I didn't want to have to deal with it. I got bit attaching new tubes she got from someone else.

Quoting MicheleJM:

That's typical of hamsters I think.  Sometimes they have to get used to being handled.  If someone 20 times your size picked YOU up wouldn't you bite too?  Ask the pet store or get a book to help you train the hamster to being handled.

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM

The problem we had with one hamster is that it would escape and be hard to catch.  Damn thing got into my closet and clawed up a old throw blanket I had in there too.  Other than that they are easy to care for.  We had the tubes and a ball it liked to roll around the house in.  We'd put it in the ball while we cleaned its cage.  It doesn't seem to bite your dd so just let her handle it, lol.  But I don't blame you..ds13 wants a dog. I said sure...when you go to volunteer at the humane society because I don't want to care for a dog and I dont' want to train a dog.  YOU get to do that.  So far he doesn't want to volunteer so I got out of that one.  I just want him to see what it's really like to care for the dog before we get one.

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Lmao yes I would and kick and scream and a million other things. We got her a hamster socialization and other helpful hamster information book with the hamster. I still think its evil!!! :)

PS the main reason I wanted to make sure she was fully ready to take care of it is I don't like them and I didn't want to have to deal with it. I got bit attaching new tubes she got from someone else.

Quoting MicheleJM:

mamasaurusRex
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Hamsters are also nocturnal. They tend to be grumpy during the day.
KGreen75
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
You're supposed to get a rather large habitat for it, not a tiny hamster cage.

You're supposed to leave them in the habitat for 3 or 4 days without handling it, this allows the hamster to
Get used to being in a new place.

Put a plastic cup in the cage and let him crawl in the cup and then pour him into your hand. hamsters hate being picked up and many times they're picks up wrong and it hurts their bellies and ribs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Newfie_Mom
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Absolutely!!! If they had been HER dogs I probably would have done something similar but they aren't they belong to my mom. And I didn't even bother trying to lie I didn't get our cat for the kids I got it for me. Lol I wanted a cat.

Quoting MicheleJM:

The problem we had with one hamster is that it would escape and be hard to catch.  Damn thing got into my closet and clawed up a old throw blanket I had in there too.  Other than that they are easy to care for.  We had the tubes and a ball it liked to roll around the house in.  We'd put it in the ball while we cleaned its cage.  It doesn't seem to bite your dd so just let her handle it, lol.  But I don't blame you..ds13 wants a dog. I said sure...when you go to volunteer at the humane society because I don't want to care for a dog and I dont' want to train a dog.  YOU get to do that.  So far he doesn't want to volunteer so I got out of that one.  I just want him to see what it's really like to care for the dog before we get one.

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Quoting MicheleJM:

piesmama09
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Newfie_Mom
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Good point I didn't think about that

Quoting mamasaurusRex:

Hamsters are also nocturnal. They tend to be grumpy during the day.
Newfie_Mom
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM
It's a really big hamster cage does that count? Or is it supposed to be bigger than the really big one we bought at the pet store? We didn't even try handling it until today (well my dd tried to handle it we were just trying to add the tubes) also she got it Monday not wed on her bday because my SO wasn't going to be home on her day.

Quoting KGreen75:

You're supposed to get a rather large habitat for it, not a tiny hamster cage.

You're supposed to leave them in the habitat for 3 or 4 days without handling it, this allows the hamster to

Get used to being in a new place.

Put a plastic cup in the cage and let him crawl in the cup and then pour him into your hand. hamsters hate being picked up and many times they're picks up wrong and it hurts their bellies and ribs.
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Hamsters are evil.  Gerbils are much more social - rats by far though are the best.

I may catch hell but would it be wrong to leave the cage door open so you can start over LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)