Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you paying for all of your children to go to college?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
  • 473 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you going to pay for every one of your children to go to college.

Options:

Yes. I am going to pay for all of their college expenses.

I'll pay for some of their college schooling for each child, but not all the costs.

No. I'm going to let them get student loans or work their way through to pay their own way.

Other... Let us know what this is.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 505

View Results

So, I've been informed that I'm selfish because I'm not paying for my kids to go to college. It is correct that I can't afford (right now) to pay 100% of every one of my children's college expenses. Even if I could afford it right now (even though the closest one to college age is 15), I would not pay for it. I am more than happy to chip in if they need help. No problem! I mentioned that in my other post. However, since I'm not footing the complete bill... I'm a selfish human being. You know, because birthing, raising, educating, feeding, clothing, sheltering, loving, and trying to be an overall good parent isn't enough.

Sooo.... I really want to know what percentage of ladies (and spouses/so/partners/etc...) are going to pay 100% of their children's college expenses.
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM
4 moms liked this

We don't pay for them to go to college.  They're on their own for that.

Josie_P
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Yah we are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

No we are not.

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I'm not paying for that either. I would help out if he hit a really rough patch, but no way I'm paying for the whole thing.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM

We will pay their tuition if we are able to, the rest they have to provide for themselves. 

iheartmiboys
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely, attempting to pay at least half for all four. If we could pay 100% for all four that would be  great. 

kmugs
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I will pay for some of it.

I expect college or uni will be funded through a combination of student loans, parental support and money saved from working.

Motherof3inNJ
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I plan to pay the costs for an associate's degree for each child. If they choose to continue on to get a bachelor's or master's, they must work and/or apply for loans. If my children are students they can live at home rent free and I will help with as many expenses I can, such as having their cell phones on my family plan and buying/preparing food for them.

Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM
5 moms liked this

Yes.... As much as I'm able to. My parents paid for me... And graduating debt free was a real gift. I commuted and went to a state school. If the school he chooses is very expensive he may have to help out, but we will pay as much as we can afford to.

He will be expected to work and pay for his car.

A little brag... My niece just was offered a 25k/year grant to study at Harvard!!! I'm so proud of her.

freemane
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM
I'm certainly going to try to. It will likely involve a lot of student loans, and I'll discuss with my kids what I can afford and what they'll need to help with.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)