Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Drug addicts in recovery should abstain from alcohol

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
Agree or disagree?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:10 PM

abso freakin lutely

casseopeia
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Yes, this is what I've heard from Dr. Drew!

Mommysmadae
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Agreed. No doubt about it. One shouldn't replace the other.
jb0520
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Completely agree
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Even if the addict drinks only occasionally, and never to excess?
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:20 PM

You are trading one poor coping skill for another, regardless if it is in excess or not.  And given that you are already dealing with an addictive nature, you are asking for trouble.

Quoting Anonymous:

Even if the addict drinks only occasionally, and never to excess?

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I agree, sorry there is plenty of clinical evidence that it will lead to relapse.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:22 PM

People with addictions have addictove behaviour so I think in most situations it is a bad idea. however, I'm sure there are a few exceptions. Not all people who get addicted to a substance have addictive personalities.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I'm a recovering drug addict and have had a drink since I quit drugs. I don't think it's smart to drink as in more than one or often but a single drink for certain occasions is fine IF you can handle it.

It really depends on the person though and what they are going through at the time. I know I can't drink when I'm stressed or sad because it will trigger bad habbits for me but I can handle a drink when my life is going well. That's just me though and I still have to be very careful and selective about when and if I have a drink!

Like for example I'm prone to PPD and I'm pregnant now. After I have the baby I will not be having even one drink for the first year because I know that PPD is a trigger for my drug use and drinking even one during that time could be a problem for me. I may decide at some point to never pick up a drink again but for now the plan is nothing for the first year after the baby and we'll see where my health and recovery is at that point.

(for the record I quit drugs before the pregnancy but will always consider myself a recovering addict because the problem never goes away...I don't do drugs but I will always be an addict)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I realty want a drink right now. :( I guess what you're all saying is true, though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)