Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you a PTO Mom? (Help!)

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 7 Replies
Ok so last night was Open House for my DD's (kindergarten) school. I've always planned to help out, but hadn't really thought about PTO. The "recruiter" started talking to me last night, and long story short, I've never been good at saying no - so I signed up. Again, I have zero problem being as much help as I can, but I don't really know what PTO entails.

So...what can I expect?
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mistie900
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM
No idea. I signed up to help out with stuff too lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Fundraising, administrative work, helping with activities such as a Fall Festival, organizing/sorting teachers gifts, books, etc. 

What did the recruiter say?

dgray
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM
You just go to the meetings and help out when you can. You're basically a volunteer and a voice. I've helped with concessions and I've helped dye t-shirts at our town's mayfair, as an example. They realise you may not always be available. I always enjoy it when I can help.
DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Not much, really. She was talking really fast and basically it was "We're looking for parents to join PTO, you don't have to do fundraisers and events. You can even just sign up for emails, it's up to you!". Then there was a sign up sheet in my face. The rest is history.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Fundraising, administrative work, helping with activities such as a Fall Festival, organizing/sorting teachers gifts, books, etc. 

ElitestJen
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Quoting DusterMommy:

Not much, really. She was talking really fast and basically it was "We're looking for parents to join PTO, you don't have to do fundraisers and events. You can even just sign up for emails, it's up to you!". Then there was a sign up sheet in my face. The rest is history.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Well, I guess there ya go.  You get emails.

dgray
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Also, ours has a fb page and it's nice to be well informed through it as well as the meetings. Recently we were looking into whether rubber mulch was actually more harmful that we'd initially thought. We decide what we can help the school pay for throughout the year. We were able to pick out some new playground equipment, etc.
DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Lol. Well I checked off the boxes for fundraisers and events and sports, also. The only one I didn't check off was to work in DD's class. I wasn't sure I could commit to that since I have a younger DD at home.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting DusterMommy:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Well, I guess there ya go.  You get emails.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)