Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Hospital: "Force Amish girl to undergo chemo".

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM
  • 106 Replies

Quote:

MEDINA, Ohio (AP) - An Ohio hospital wants a court to give it limited guardianship over a 10-year-old Amish girl with leukemia whose parents decided to stop her chemotherapy.     A juvenile judge blocked an Akron Children's Hospital attorney who's also a registered nurse from making medical decisions for the girl. The hospital plans to appeal.     The Medina Gazette (http://bit.ly/12vRevS ) reports the judge ruled in late July that the girl's parents can make medical decisions for her because there's no evidence they are unfit.     The parents initially allowed chemotherapy treatment but stopped after their daughter begged them to. Her parents say the treatment's effects were terrible. They say they're now using "natural" medicines, such as herbs and vitamins.     The hospital says the girl will die without chemotherapy.     

I'm on the fence about this. One one hand, the girl will die. On the other, this is the desision that she and her parents made after already using chemo....

What do you think?

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kittykatx
by Sammii. Tar ♥ on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM
7 moms liked this
She has stated she doesn't want the chemo it shouldn't be forced on her
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM
4 moms liked this
She's old enough to understand that without chemo she'll die. Chemo is awful. I support her right to make this decision.
armywifey1983
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this

If a patient doesn't want chemo (and if the parents support the decision, in the case of a juvenile), their decision should be honored. Its not like they saw that chemo was needed and turned it down flat. She has the right to live and (hopefully not) die however she chooses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM

My husband went through chemo and while it put him in remission it ended up being the reason he died.  I wished he hadn't went though the treatments we might of had him around another year.  I think her wishes have to be respected she is the one who is having the poison pumped into her body. 

KGreen75
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM

If the Chemo will SAVE her life, I agree with the hospital.

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Its her right to refuse IMO!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hello_kitty25
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM
If that's her decision and not her parents, and she fully understands she will die without it, its her choice
GigantaursMommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Since she already tried and couldn't stand the side effects then I think she should be aloud to say no more to them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I had a friend Jori Zemel (you can google her story she was documented on the discovery Chanel) who died of bone cancer when I was I little her parents always said that they will stop when she wants too. Well that day came and her dad just couldn't do it. In the end he ultimately agreed with her but it is incredibly difficult for parents to let go and do nothing. With that said the hospital needs to respect her wishes as chemo IS a detriment to whatever life she may have left....I really hope she pulls through with the chemo though and everyone ends up happy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured