Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

fingerprints and class to volunteer?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM
  • 67 Replies
I received a letter from my son's school saying no I c volunteer to do anything (we are required to volunteer 5hours) I have to be fingerprinted and take a 3.5 hour class. Anyone else have to do this?
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM

No, but I was fingerprinted when I was a teacher.  I think a 3.5 class is a little much for a parent volunteer.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM
no, but our girls softball league required a background check to volunteer. they found themselves short by a lot of hands who didn't want to go through the hassel.
goochie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it is becoming a requirement in lots of states. Both my husband and I volunteered at our kids schools and only the last 3 years did we have to be finger printed.  I think it is a good thing.  Safety for the kids should always be first! We did not have to take a class , but did have to pay for the background check and fingerprinting ourselves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM

No, just a background check, I think.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I had to have a background check to volunteer at my dd's school. A class seems excessive.
mommybug77
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I have to have a background check to be a room mom or do anything besides for chaperone if I am directly with kids.
smack05
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Yes to both she goes to private school
Jemmy
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Yes. I had to be fingerprinted and I still haven't been able to go to class. I had a mandatory meeting for work in another state the day the last one was scheduled down here. All the others are scheduled in dc at night and I'm not going that far at night. I've still been able to volunteer for things that weren't just classroom or field trip based though.
babydollbea
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a lot of work just to VOLUNTEER.

iamnameless
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM
My son's school is a private school aswell. I don't mind the fingerprints but the class is stupid to me.

Quoting smack05:

Yes to both she goes to private school

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)