Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom Accidentally Gives Baby Vodka Instead of Water

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM
  • 136 Replies
Mom Accidentally Gives Baby Vodka Instead of Water
by Nicole Fabian-Weber on Today at 10:58 AM
Share 35

waterA mother accidentally gave her baby vodka, thinking it was water. Apparently, she was giving the child what she thought was water from a water bottle, but the clear substance inside wound up being vodka. The baby reportedly ingested about half a bottle cap of the alcohol and was immediately rushed to the hospital after the mom realized what had happened. Authorities say the incident appears to genuinely be an accident, and no charges have been filed.

Now. Before we all go Judgey McJudgerson on this mom and demand her head on a stick, let's take a step back for a moment and ask ourselves: Have I ever made an honest mistake that could have resulted in something really bad as a parent?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of us have never accidentally given our children sips of alcohol. And I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that most of us don't have random water bottles filled with vodka lying around the house. But still. Mistakes do happen when you're a parent -- especially a new one. And this mother must have been terrified the minute she realized what she had accidentally done.

A few months after my daughter was born, my sister and I decided to take her to Babies R Us. Her car seat was the kind that you snap into a cart with wheels, so you never have to take the baby out. When we got into the store, I loosened the straps of the car seat, because I felt like my daughter would be a bit more comfortable. But when I snapped her back into the car seat base for the ride home -- you guessed it. I never tightened the straps again. When I got home, I realized what I had done and I all but broke down in tears. I felt like such an awful parent. But it was an honest mistake. An honest mistake that could have resulted in something too awful to even think about. And guess what? I have never done that again.

Details are sparse about the vodka incident, but if this honest-to-god was an accident, my heart goes out to this mom. She must still be reeling from this. And I seriously doubt she'll ever forgive herself.

Did you ever make a "new parent mistake"?

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM
4 moms liked this

A half of a bottle cap? I wouldnt have taken my kid to the hospital for that.

missmamaof4
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM
3 moms liked this

how can you not smell the vodka though?

brittney28
by Brittney on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Sounds fishy
MotherOF5Cuties
by Abby on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly .. Vodka is so strong that you can smell that shit and you dont have to put it by your nose. She was probably drunk her self when she did it.

Quoting missmamaof4:

crumpy_gat
by No. on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Maybe the baby starting vomiting?  Straight vodka is NASTY. 

Quoting thenameshailie:

A half of a bottle cap? I wouldnt have taken my kid to the hospital for that.

alisheamonet33
by Alishea on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

that story doesnt sound right it may have looked like water but im positive it smelled like vodka

twade26
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Thats what I want to know.

Quoting missmamaof4:

3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Yep. My son was sleeping reclined in his stroller and I unbelted the straps because in the flat position they were really right. Rather than try to loosen them while he was sleeping, I just unbuckled them. I was turned away for a moment to talk to my MIL and the next thing I knew he was on the floor, flat on his back with the wind knocked out of him. He was about 6 months old. I felt DREADFUL and a group of high school girls gave me the most evil looks. I was a new mom and I was horrified that I had done something that caused my child harm (he was fine, btw). Never did that again. My daughter fell off the bed once when dh was watching her while I was at work. He hadn't realized that she was so close to the edge when she rolled off. He said he cried more than she did and I felt worse for him than for her because she wouldn't remember the bump on the head but he will always remember that he "let" her fall off the bed. People make mistakes.

Shoot, when I was a kid, moms deliberately smoked while pregnant, let us ride in cars with no seat belts, ride bikes without a helmet, and the acceptable way to soothe a teething baby was to rub alcohol on the gums. I wouldn't do any of that stuff with my kids, but I think that people are so quick to judge parenting mistakes in our bubblewrapped society.

nelliesmommy
by prettyandpierced on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM

She's an alcoholic. My mom does that so when she is in the car or out in public people think it is soda or water.

MotherOF5Cuties
by Abby on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Probably drunk herself.

Quoting twade26:

Thats what I want to know.

Quoting missmamaof4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)