Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

community school supplies! ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies

My best friend posted this on fb today:

"WARNING: MOMMY RANT! Really frustrated with how they do things in schools these days. When I buy my kids school supplies, I expect THEM to be the ones to use it! I understand stand some things are "community supplies" All their pretty pencils are gone. They didn't get to pick any! K's (DD#2) divider tabs.....the ones in her binder are not the pretty ones I bought. She says "Someone else picked them" And while I'm on the subject, if teachers have individual supply lists, can't they send that when they tell us who the teachers are and send the grade supply list?!?!? GRRRRR TGIF Happy Friday!!"

If I were her I would be making a phone call to that teacher telling her off! Things like divider tabs? Seriously? What if they were already in the child's binder?! Would she have made the child take them out & allow someone else claim them???

ETA: I think those of us living in the USA should start a natiowide petition to have community supplies outlawed for things OTHER THAN: tissues, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitzer, ziploc bags, regular yellow pencils, dry erase markers, regular blue, black, & red pens, & paper folders!! LOL

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be upset too.  Shared crayons, markers, and glue I can understand. But pencils and larger items should be personalized and not shared. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM

This is my first year with a kid in school, and his supply list made it clear what would be his and what would be community. I think letting kids pick supplies is silly!!! Pencils are one thing, but divider tabs? Things that stay with that person all year? I mean, I know my kiddos teacher stockpiled tissues, crayons, hand sanitizer, etc for the class. I'm totally fine with community supplies as long as its told to us in advance.

vbway
by Valerie on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I got a little a bit annoyed by something similar this year. All the kids are required to bring all the supplies on the supply list. But when she got to class the teachers collected all the folders and then mixed them up and redistributed them. I wasn't happy. I let her pick the designs on the folders. She had nice folders and then was given plain ones by the teacher. She even got a batman folder. WTH?  If all the kids brought folders, why did they have to switch? Plus some of the folders she got back weren't even the correct kind. They didn't have the side pockets that were needed. 

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM
I have no clue if we have this at her school, this is her first year,
But I would be annoyed if I bought it all and she can't use it!
I got her list today and some of the stuff is so silly!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy383
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Tissue and glue and wipes I don't care. But if my child has a folder they picked it better not be passed along. Lucky for me my son got an awesome teacher this year so that's not an issue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Makes me wonder if things like earbuds or flash drives are done the same way? The teacher has no way of knowing what is on a flash drive when it comes to school. I would really like to see some teacher learn a lesson in community supplies when the flash drive with sexy pics on it gets sent home with a random kid who didn't bring it in!

Quoting vbway:

I got a little a bit annoyed by something similar this year. All the kids are required to bring all the supplies on the supply list. But when she got to class the teachers collected all the folders and then mixed them up and redistributed them. I wasn't happy. I let her pick the designs on the folders. She had nice folders and then was given plain ones by the teacher. She even got a batman folder. WTH?  If all the kids brought folders, why did they have to switch? Plus some of the folders she got back weren't even the correct kind. They didn't have the side pockets that were needed. 

Master_Debater
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM

It only pisses me off to a point. We were told to buy 2 PLASTIC pocket folders so that's what we bought. Another parent bought paper folders and that's what my son ended up with. If another parent sent in the wrong thing, the child whose parent bought it should use it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Id say something to the teacher about that

Quoting vbway:

JLS2388
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I would be pissed too. If I am going to spend the extra money on the specialized things, I expect my child to get them. Personally, I think the teachers should HAVE to let the parents know which supplies will be community supplies BEFORE the supplies are brought in.

NorseGodessMom
by ChaosLover on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM

see this shit makes NO SENSE TO ME! WE as parents take OUR child/children out and WE pay for that child's things for school, then the teacher just TAKES it from the child and says NO Amy you cant have it anymore it goes to Billy and you get Cindys????? THIS MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)