Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am just curious about what you would do...

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Donate all or some of the reward to the shelter

Keep the money

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

My friend's dog (Golden retriever/German Shepherd mix) went missing about three weeks ago. Her and her family were frantic, searching for the dog. They put up posters, offering a reward for his safe return, to encourage someone that may find him to return him instead of deciding to keep him (because people do that and it pisses me off). He was chipped and had a collar and tag and he is very friendly and will approch anyone so they were concerned that he was not found. First they put the reward as $50 and then, after he was missing for about a week, they upped it to $75, and then to $100.

Yesterday, she got a call from animal control about 30 miles away. Someone found him on the side of the road (they suspect someone took him and he got away or they put him out because she doesn't believe that he would have gone that far away). She was talking to me about it and she said "And the best part about animal control finding him is that we don't have to pay out the reward money."

Personally, if it were me, I would have donated the money, at least some of it if they really couldn't afford the whole amount, to the shelter so that they could help other people find their lost pets. It isn't a high kill shelter so they keep some dogs for a long time and they could really use the money. I have another friend whose dog was missing for three months and, when animal control found her, they donated $200 to them when they originally posted no reward at all.

I am not saying that she is wrong for not donating the money, I am just saying that this is what I would do. What about you? What would you do?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I would donate the money.
Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM

bump

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM

bump damnit

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM

bumpity bumpity muthafuckin bump

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM

bump

FullMoonFever
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I definitely would donate all of it to the shelter.They really need all the help they can get.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

That might depend for me.  I sheltered, fostered, and rescued many dogs around here.  I know which shelters would do good with my money and which ones are a waste.  I would definately donate money, but if it was to one of the shelters that ONLY cares about money and not their animals, I'd pick a sister shelter or the local "foster ring" as the recipients.

Tagenmom
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM
My pup was missing for two days when animal control found them. Luckily there was a pet store that was moving locations nearby so I went and bought 110lb of dry dog food(the good stuff) at a ridiculous cheap price. I don't like donating money to organizations, I'd rather do goods. And I paid to bail my dog out in dollar bills and change I found in my car, I put the dog food on my credit card.
waffa
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I found a dog with a big reward ($500), and when I reunited him with his family I wouldn't take it, told them to donate it to the local no-kill. That is what a pet owner does IMO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM
NOT a way to get responses. Growup.

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

bumpity bumpity muthafuckin bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)