Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Police? Really?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM
  • 146 Replies

No drama, so some may be disappointed.  

I went to a playgroup today and when I drove up, I was blasting The Police and singing along (horribly) to Roxanne.  One of the newer moms was standing outside and after my older kid ran around the house with a bunch of other kids, she said something along the lines of how she couldn't imagine listening to Roxanne with her kids in the car.  They're 6, 8 and 11, boys.  She wasn't rude or judgey or weird about it.  Just said that she only listens to "kid" music in the car and that she wouldn't want to have to explain what Roxanne is about.  LOL.  (My kid is 11.  She knows what Roxanne is about.  She loves that whole album, though she says Invisible Sun is boring.) I should have asked what she meant by "kid music", but I didn't.  I just assumed it was that tedious alphabet stuff or, worse, Justin Beiber. 

I was just curious, past 2 or 3 years old, do you limit what you play in the car when your kids are there?  I played a lot of reggae when DD1 was little and made custom CDs for her.  She liked Nina Simone and The Beach Boys and Johnny Cash.  Yeah, we didn't listen to the other stuff, so my kid picked from what we listened to.  Though she did develop quite a taste for Japanese girl bands, like Petty Booka Girls.  

What do your kids listen to?  What do you not allow (if anything)?  What do you silently suffer through?  

(my suffering music is Foster the People...I'm hoping that CD slips into a grate when I open the car door one day)

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skittlefart
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Haven't gotten to that age yet luckily...but I have no idea...haven't even thought of it except I already asked my DF to censor his music since DS is starting to pick up words like crazy. 

photo Nickysilly_zps1bdda502.jpg
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I have never listened to children's music in my car, home, etc. I never intend to either. My kids listen to what we listen to, which is pretty much anything except country, gospel and Christian music.
UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM
We listen to the oldies station (my kids live the beach boys too), soft rock family friendly station or kids songs.

We have this Kidz Bop gold cd we've been wearing out lately. It's kids singing oldies lol.

I don't allow country (although they like Taylor Swift, ugh) or rap.

I silently suffer through One Direction and the Sofia the First soundtrack.
inspain
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Hey, this Atheist is a serious gospel enthusiast.  DD is baffled, but loves some of the older stuff.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

I have never listened to children's music in my car, home, etc. I never intend to either. My kids listen to what we listen to, which is pretty much anything except country, gospel and Christian music.

inspain
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I asked DD who One Direction is and she said, "They use it to torture prisoners."  LOL.  Gonna Google them for a more objective look.  

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

We listen to the oldies station (my kids live the beach boys too), soft rock family friendly station or kids songs.

We have this Kidz Bop gold cd we've been wearing out lately. It's kids singing oldies lol.

tardistraveller
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I have some music I don't like ds listenign to.  Mostly just marilyn manson and eminem.  I think that's pretty understandable though.

Master_Debater
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Nope, we listen to metal, classic rock, 80s, pop (90s), and country around our kids all the time.

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Pretty much this, although I'll admit we both like Veggietales from time to time.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

TexTornado
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I don't even know what Roxanne is about and I've heard it a jillion times.  I just sing & pay no attention to the lyrics. 

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM
LOL
In my girls' defense, they're 5 & 7 and first heard the song on Kidz Bop.

Quoting inspain:

I asked DD who One Direction is and she said, "They use it to torture prisoners."  LOL.  Gonna Google them for a more objective look.  

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN