Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cyber Babyshower!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! Today I log onto Facebook and find a request for a cyber babyshower. This friend of ours moved half way across the country. Now they are inviting everyone to this thing. You basically say you will attend and send them gift cards, money, or presents. Have you ever been a part of something like this or even heard of such a thing? Would you participate in an event like this?

Just a little clarification. There will be no video chat or anything like that to share the moment. Just an invite to send gifts to them.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
crumpy_gat
by No. on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Well then just send an empty card that says congrats scrooge

Quoting Anonymous:

really? I think it sounds like begging for gifts.

Quoting pedritosmama:

Yeah...it actually sounds like a good idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Lol. They're essentially a gift grab. It's like saying, "look, I'm not actually going to take the time to have a party, but I'd like you to send me gifts anyways". But yeah I've heard of them. Unfortunately they're growing in popularity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Aren't all showers begging for gifts?

Don't people send out graduation invitations just so people will send gifts?  I mean, seriously, no one wants to go to a graduation.

Wedding invitations solicit gifts in lieu of attendance.

Asking for gifts for baby--live shower or online shower--is the social norm. 

Clearly, you're the only Stingy McStingerson that has a problem with this.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM
This!!!

Hey come to my wedding shower, buy me stuff

Hey come to my baby shower, buy me stuff

Hey come to my birthday, buy me stuff!

Haha

Buy meeee stuffffff!

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't people send out graduation invitations just so people will send gifts?  I mean, seriously, no one wants to go to a graduation.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Sounds like a great idea for people who are away from family!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Never heard of it...

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! Today I log onto Facebook and find a request for a cyber babyshower. This friend of ours moved half way across the country. Now they are inviting everyone to this thing. You basically say you will attend and send them gift cards, money, or presents. Have you ever been a part of something like this or even heard of such a thing? Would you participate in an event like this?

redhead-bedhead
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM

We had one a few years ago for a friend. She didn't require everyone send gifts, but we did a group video chat.

2kids19yrsapart
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM

When I was pregnant with my DD, my mom did a gift card shower for me.  I was in FL, and all my family was in TN.  My mom made invitations with my pregnant pic on them, and sent them to family and friends.  It explained that I was pregnant, living in FL, and she was coming to visit me and wanted to surprise me with a shower.  But, since she would be bringing everything to us, it would be easier if every got a gift card for us.  She had them mail the cards to me, in care of her and her address.  And, it also stated if anyone wanted to buy a gift instead, that was fine.  A month later, when she came to visit, she surprised me.  She took pics of each card I opened, with the gift card inside, and for my thank you cards, I included a picture of me with that person's card and gift card in it.  There were a few people that sent gifts, but overall, I ended up with $600 in gift cards to various stores.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Actually, I love to celebrate major life events with family and friends. I just think asking for gifts in the mail is not really a celebration. I have never heard of anything like this before.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I could see that but it's just a facebook invite with their address asking everyone to send something.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

We had one a few years ago for a friend. She didn't require everyone send gifts, but we did a group video chat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)