Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cyber Babyshower!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! Today I log onto Facebook and find a request for a cyber babyshower. This friend of ours moved half way across the country. Now they are inviting everyone to this thing. You basically say you will attend and send them gift cards, money, or presents. Have you ever been a part of something like this or even heard of such a thing? Would you participate in an event like this?

Just a little clarification. There will be no video chat or anything like that to share the moment. Just an invite to send gifts to them.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Replies (151-154):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I only say that because there will be no interaction. It was an invite with a request for money, gift card, or presents with their address on it. There will be no video chat, no chat period. I doubt they will even send out birth announcements. They didn't for their last baby (this is their 3rd). How is it a baby shower if you can't have a celebration together in some way?

Quoting amberlyp:

Why does everything have to be begging for gifts? I'm not trying to bash or be mean, I promise. But it seems as though every time someone comes up with a new baby shower idea, SOMEONE has to say that they are begging for gifts. Baby showers don't always have to be traditional. People kept asking me to do a cyber baby shower because I'm in Texas ( military ) with no family and few friends around. But I KNEW there would be someone like you in the bunch who would get offended and make me feel bad about it so I didn't have one.

Quoting Anonymous:

really? I think it sounds like begging for gifts.

Quoting pedritosmama:

Yeah...it actually sounds like a good idea.

asmoni
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Wouldn't you gve them a gift if they lived close by? What's the difference then? I say do it :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Posting a wish list to facebook is extremely tacky. If someone asks for suggestions then give them ideas. To post it for everyone is ridiculous.

Quoting Anonymous:

I did it after my friends and family begged me to. As I said I did not ask anyone to buy anything if they didn't want to. I only sent the registries to those who asked me to make one.

I bet you are going to tell me it's also tacky that I make birthday wish lists for the kids so that family and friends know what they have asked for. Without making wish lists my family would have no idea what to buy for them. I would rather get something we want as a gift then get something we hate and will throw away.

Quoting Anonymous:This is so tacky! At least the op said someone did it for their friend. She didn't do it herself. I'm 34 weeks pregnant and live 8 hours from all of my family and friends. I would never do that. If people want to send gifts they will. I'm not going to solicit them.

Quoting Anonymous:I did something like this for both my kids. I have no family anywhere near me and not many friends. So I made baby registries online and sent links to the registries to all my family and good friends. I also posted them on facebook. I told everyone to only buy for us if they wanted to and that they did not have buy from the registries, it was just an idea of things we wanted. 

amberlyp
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Totally agree and I think they should at least do like a video chat or something

Quoting Anonymous:

I only say that because there will be no interaction. It was an invite with a request for money, gift card, or presents with their address on it. There will be no video chat, no chat period. I doubt they will even send out birth announcements. They didn't for their last baby (this is their 3rd). How is it a baby shower if you can't have a celebration together in some way?

Quoting amberlyp:

Why does everything have to be begging for gifts? I'm not trying to bash or be mean, I promise. But it seems as though every time someone comes up with a new baby shower idea, SOMEONE has to say that they are begging for gifts. Baby showers don't always have to be traditional. People kept asking me to do a cyber baby shower because I'm in Texas ( military ) with no family and few friends around. But I KNEW there would be someone like you in the bunch who would get offended and make me feel bad about it so I didn't have one.

Quoting Anonymous:

really? I think it sounds like begging for gifts.

Quoting pedritosmama:

Yeah...it actually sounds like a good idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN