Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cyber Babyshower!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! Today I log onto Facebook and find a request for a cyber babyshower. This friend of ours moved half way across the country. Now they are inviting everyone to this thing. You basically say you will attend and send them gift cards, money, or presents. Have you ever been a part of something like this or even heard of such a thing? Would you participate in an event like this?

Just a little clarification. There will be no video chat or anything like that to share the moment. Just an invite to send gifts to them.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM
From a mother perspective, it's great...a bunch of gifts without having to plan or pay for a party. From a guest perspective...I agree with you. I would not and do not send gifts to any shower that I do not physically attend, unless it is a close friend or family member.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM
This!

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol. They're essentially a gift grab. It's like saying, "look, I'm not actually going to take the time to have a party, but I'd like you to send me gifts anyways". But yeah I've heard of them. Unfortunately they're growing in popularity.

onethentwins
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I agree, it does sound like begging for gifts. Whenever my out-of-town friends had babies they would send out newborn baby announcements and then I would send them a gift.

PookiePanda
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

That's pretty smart.

CafeMom Tickers
krissy920
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM
I dont do any party that doesnt send me a real invite. If you dont have time to send me a card in the mail inviting me, I dont have time to send a gift or attend the event. I cant stand fb event invites. I thjnk cyber showers are tacky but if I got a card in the mail inviting me to one id send a guft.
Aislin
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I've thrown a few for women in a crisis pregnancy that lived in another state. Its not a big deal. You can just click that you won't attend if its not for you.

disneymom2two
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM

A coworker did one like that (only close family and friends were invited.  Some people gathered at her house, some gathered at her cousin's house in CA and they used skype or something like it so that they could see and hear each other.  Both houses had a cake and some food; it was cute.  

brandie1470
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I wouldnt mind it if it were legit. Like if most of family lived too far to travel just for a shower.

I live in GA and all of my family lives in Central FL. Df family is in North FL and SC. We are going to FL in October when my family throws us a shower. Df family will probably just send us stuff. My family is huge and his is not so big. Although I would love for them to come to it, it is just not possible

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Not really. Babyshowers, wedding showers, birthday parties are sort of a trade off. It's like saying come have fun and celebrate with me and for your part there is the societal expectation you bring a gift. A win win. People don't send out invitations to a cyber birthday do they? Of course not. Then it's clearly just about getting gift with nothing in return for the "guests". People CAN come to a graduation, even if they have no intention of doing it so no not the same because there is still an event.
Quoting Anonymous:

Aren't all showers begging for gifts?

Don't people send out graduation invitations just so people will send gifts?  I mean, seriously, no one wants to go to a graduation.

Wedding invitations solicit gifts in lieu of attendance.

Asking for gifts for baby--live shower or online shower--is the social norm. 

Clearly, you're the only Stingy McStingerson that has a problem with this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Awwwww......you poor baby. Did you not have a shower ??
Awwwww.......you poor baby . Did you not get what you want ???
Awwwww.........you poor baby !
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured