Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cyber Babyshower!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! Today I log onto Facebook and find a request for a cyber babyshower. This friend of ours moved half way across the country. Now they are inviting everyone to this thing. You basically say you will attend and send them gift cards, money, or presents. Have you ever been a part of something like this or even heard of such a thing? Would you participate in an event like this?

Just a little clarification. There will be no video chat or anything like that to share the moment. Just an invite to send gifts to them.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Lol a friend of mine sent her sons bday invites out via FB event. I couldn't go I ha to work but I thought it was weird.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not really. Babyshowers, wedding showers, birthday parties are sort of a trade off. It's like saying come have fun and celebrate with me and for your part there is the societal expectation you bring a gift. A win win.

People don't send out invitations to a cyber birthday do they? Of course not. Then it's clearly just about getting gift with nothing in return for the "guests". People CAN come to a graduation, even if they have no intention of doing it so no not the same because there is still an event.

Quoting Anonymous:

Aren't all showers begging for gifts?

Don't people send out graduation invitations just so people will send gifts?  I mean, seriously, no one wants to go to a graduation.

Wedding invitations solicit gifts in lieu of attendance.

Asking for gifts for baby--live shower or online shower--is the social norm. 

Clearly, you're the only Stingy McStingerson that has a problem with this.

xoxRachelxox
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I think it's a pretty good idea. If you can't get everyone together, it's perfect. If you don't like it, decline.

Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Well a large point of having a baby shower is for the gifts.

Quoting Anonymous:

really? I think it sounds like begging for gifts.

Quoting pedritosmama:

Yeah...it actually sounds like a good idea.

ashesleigh
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM
my family plans birthday parties and baby.showers via text so they wrre excited to see baby shower invites via fb. i did a survey to.see if theyd prefer a mailed or fb invite (which was my friend hosting the baby shower idea) 2 out of thirty five wanted mailed invitations. e invites is one thing. the only two reasons i had a baby shower this time around was my friend insisted and 2) i was put on bed rest and hadnt seen my family in over three months. my family.would kick my butt if i tried to.do a cyber party. besides it sounds dirty to me.
2kids19yrsapart
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Forgot to add that my mom did everything by mail, not on the internet.

Quoting 2kids19yrsapart:

When I was pregnant with my DD, my mom did a gift card shower for me.  I was in FL, and all my family was in TN.  My mom made invitations with my pregnant pic on them, and sent them to family and friends.  It explained that I was pregnant, living in FL, and she was coming to visit me and wanted to surprise me with a shower.  But, since she would be bringing everything to us, it would be easier if every got a gift card for us.  She had them mail the cards to me, in care of her and her address.  And, it also stated if anyone wanted to buy a gift instead, that was fine.  A month later, when she came to visit, she surprised me.  She took pics of each card I opened, with the gift card inside, and for my thank you cards, I included a picture of me with that person's card and gift card in it.  There were a few people that sent gifts, but overall, I ended up with $600 in gift cards to various stores.  

TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I would love to go to a cyber baby shower. I hate the games and hate sitting through every single gift being opened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mojogirl
by Gunnery Sgt Hartman on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM

i think its tacky

missmamaof4
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I really dont have anything to add but i found this gif and i really want to use it. And it some what fits with this post

tarakay0417
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM
That is a great idea! Especially for someone that doesn't have any friends in the state they live in but have family and friends in another state. I woukd totally do that for someone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I have been to MANY wedding and baby showers in my life.  Only one of them was actually fun (no, it wasn't mine).

They're just about helping out the person get what they need for baby (or for the home in the case of wedding showers).  Therefore, it can easily be done online without some fake-ass party where people smile and pretend they wanna be there. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Not really. Babyshowers, wedding showers, birthday parties are sort of a trade off. It's like saying come have fun and celebrate with me and for your part there is the societal expectation you bring a gift. A win win. People don't send out invitations to a cyber birthday do they? Of course not. Then it's clearly just about getting gift with nothing in return for the "guests". People CAN come to a graduation, even if they have no intention of doing it so no not the same because there is still an event.
Quoting Anonymous:

Aren't all showers begging for gifts?

Don't people send out graduation invitations just so people will send gifts?  I mean, seriously, no one wants to go to a graduation.

Wedding invitations solicit gifts in lieu of attendance.

Asking for gifts for baby--live shower or online shower--is the social norm. 

Clearly, you're the only Stingy McStingerson that has a problem with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)