Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why people need internet including people on PA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am not on pa but if i was i would still need internet and would pay for it if i had too.

My dd is in the 8th grade. a couple of her teacher do not hand out text book. they told all the students to look at the books online, when they do their homework. so yea sometimes you need internet.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Replies (361-366):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Her school has mostly gone paperless when it comes to text books that is also why they do not have locker. The only locker they have are gym lockers.

Quoting M0M0F03:

By law they have to provide them. There will never be a law that you HAVE to have Internet. Our schools do the same thing...not enough books to go around, but if no Internet...they provide them.

Quoting Anonymous:

they can't give you books that they don't have.

Quoting M0M0F03:

...BUT if you tell them you have no Internet...they give you the book :)

M0M0F03
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I actually agree with the school and think it is a great idea, BUT they still have to make allowances. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Her school has mostly gone paperless when it comes to text books that is also why they do not have locker. The only locker they have are gym lockers.

Quoting M0M0F03:

By law they have to provide them. There will never be a law that you HAVE to have Internet. Our schools do the same thing...not enough books to go around, but if no Internet...they provide them.

Quoting Anonymous:

they can't give you books that they don't have.

Quoting M0M0F03:

...BUT if you tell them you have no Internet...they give you the book :)

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I was more referring to college work. Also, I am sure you are aware that some libraries have time limitations? Or do you assume all libraries are like the one you took your children too? I mean you clearly assume because it worked for you it would work for all parents right? Sorry but nope.

Quoting Val99:

Most elementary school homework isn't done at 3AM either.  I was able to get my kids to the library, even though I was attending college full time (18 credits a semester with a double major) and held down three jobs.  It helps for a mom to ask "How can I make this work", instead of just throwing up their hands and saying "I can't".

Quoting OneToughMami:

The library isn't 24/7.

Quoting Val99:

Funny, I made it through a PHD, my daughter made it through an MD, and my son made it through a DVM without home internet.  Libraries are great resources.  I'm sorry you feel like your 8th grader couldn't do what we did through advanced degrees.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not on pa but if i was i would still need internet and would pay for it if i had too.

My dd is in the 8th grade. a couple of her teacher do not hand out text book. they told all the students to look at the books online, when they do their homework. so yea sometimes you need internet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM

We are a low income family with tether on our phones, and two laptops. If you want to make it work hard enough, it will. There's tons of ways around this and many other problems, but all people do is make up excuses for their own laziness.

Quoting Anonymous:

If someone is low income, what makes you think you have phone internet? 

and how do you access wifi without a laptop or phone? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Library, wi-fi, piggy back off your phones Internet...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Move over! It's my turn to use the computer!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

In my town, the ilbrary is closed thursday - sunday. they are only open monday teusday and wednesday. and even then, you get 30 mins on the computer, so that otters can have a turn. 

Quoting rfhsure:

there are these things called libraries....where internet flows abound.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You can, I've seen it done, but you'll get some strange looks.

Quoting Anonymous:

yes but if all you have is a desk top you can't take it with you to a public wifi spot.

Quoting Anonymous:

And some have laptops.

Quoting Anonymous:

some people have desk tops.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, if you don't have a laptop or computer at home, why do you need internet to begin with?

Quoting Anonymous:

Where do we get the laptop? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have a McDonalds or coffee shop that you can take a laptop to and access internet for free?

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Not always the case.

Here the school closes at the end of the day when schol is out. Its just how it is. And the local library closes at 4:30pm, when you get home from school at 3:30pm and have to take 2 buses and travel to the library for an hour, its just not possible. lol

Just saying, not all those options are available to everyone. lol 

Quoting Anonymous:

There are libraries and places you can go for free internet access, including the schools. Have your child stay afterschool and use the computers there if you must.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)