Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Got a new computer today!

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM
  • 17 Replies

I finally broke down and got a new laptop today!  My other one is shot and I had been using my iPod for a really long time.  It was a pain in the butt and I couldn't do a lot.  Now to tell the other half how much I spent is the next step!

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamNStefanMommy
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I finally got my very first EVER laptop last week. My ex's mom bought it for me as a back to school present since the college I'm going to changed their policy and no longer rents laptops for the semester. I've only had one other computer, a desktop from probably 2005 that I found by my dumpster. I brought it in, cleaned up the hard drive, reinstalled windows and had a working computer. For FREE! I was so excited LOL

Beth3721
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM
It is exciting. My other one could have been fixed, but after looking into parts and labor, I decided it would be better to invest in a new one.
Quoting SamNStefanMommy:

I finally got my very first EVER laptop last week. My ex's mom bought it for me as a back to school present since the college I'm going to changed their policy and no longer rents laptops for the semester. I've only had one other computer, a desktop from probably 2005 that I found by my dumpster. I brought it in, cleaned up the hard drive, reinstalled windows and had a working computer. For FREE! I was so excited LOL

mom2ljh
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM
How much DID you spend? LOL. I bought a new laptop about 2 years ago. It was a Lenovo X220 series and I spent $1200 but it was well worth every penny.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I paid 1200 for my first, and 700 for this one. I will never buy another one because of cooling issues. I will build a pc instead now. So much cheaper.

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Jealous! I want a computer! I miss having one some days... I have my phone and its ok, I guess, but I can't play all of my poo games on it or edit documents.... I HAD net book, but I spilled vanilla extract all over it while trying to read a recipe.. I mean, the key board smells amazing, but it's really reduced it's functionality.. Boo.
Beth3721
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM

The computer itself was only 599.  But after an external disc drive, office and taxes it was a little over 800.  I'm just going to tell him that it could have been worse.  There were many more expensive ones I could have chosen from.  I was pretty shocked that the new thing is to get rid of the disc drive.  They only had 3 in store that had them.

Quoting mom2ljh:

How much DID you spend? LOL. I bought a new laptop about 2 years ago. It was a Lenovo X220 series and I spent $1200 but it was well worth every penny.

Nicolle_09
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM

i just bought this one a few months ago for $850, its the first one ive actually bought. my other one was a gift from my grandmother for college back in 2005. 

mom2ljh
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Well, it's because 12-13" models are popular for the portability and extended battery life but it leaves little room for an optical drive. Mine doesn't have an optical drive because its a 12.1" but it has a 9-12 hour battery life, lol.

Quoting Beth3721:

The computer itself was only 599.  But after an external disc drive, office and taxes it was a little over 800.  I'm just going to tell him that it could have been worse.  There were many more expensive ones I could have chosen from.  I was pretty shocked that the new thing is to get rid of the disc drive.  They only had 3 in store that had them.

Quoting mom2ljh:

Beth3721
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I got a 15 inch.  Even the larger ones don't have them.  Most of the older models that were 150-400 dollars had them, but not the newer "premium" laptops.  Apparently this is something that has started to happen a lot more within the last year or so. This is what the computer guy told me anyway! Lol.

Quoting mom2ljh:

Well, it's because 12-13" models are popular for the portability and extended battery life but it leaves little room for an optical drive. Mine doesn't have an optical drive because its a 12.1" but it has a 9-12 hour battery life, lol.

Quoting Beth3721:

Quoting mom2ljh:

Beth3721
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM

If I didn't need the portability, I would have gone with a desktop.  My other one has had cooling issues for about a year and finally just kept overheating and shutting down within a couple minutes.

Quoting ColleenF30:

I paid 1200 for my first, and 700 for this one. I will never buy another one because of cooling issues. I will build a pc instead now. So much cheaper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN