Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Living BELOW your means....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies

So we hear all the time about people that think money grows on trees and spend it like it is going out of style. Is the any other mommas that live below their means? If so how/why?

DH works and make quite a bit of money and i run my own business from home which does pretty alright. There is just myself, dh, dd4, and we are expecting a son the end of sept. We live in a cute little house that is extremely reasonably priced and has everything we need and love. We own our cars which are definitely not brand new. We have internet but not cable as we arent really tv watchers. We spend about 300-500 a month on groceries. We pay around 150 a month for electric and our water, sewer and garbage is paid for by our property manager. dh gets insurance through his job and we just pay a small amount towards that. We dont go on extravagant vacations or eat at fancy restaurants. we buy the essentials and have little to no need for a ton of extras.

Anyone else do the same?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Yes, we do. Dh works, we own our car, our rent is excellent, we have one child, we have more than enough. We don't buy unless we REALLY need something, and than we do our research before to get the best price
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM
We do. I work full time, dh part time. We got an awesome deal on our home and paid it off quickly, (5 years quickly) so we own it, dh bought a little Honda accord junker for $400 and put $200 into it, he's had that now for going on 9 years. My car has been paid off for 2 years, we have Internet, pre paid phones, all utilities are on average pay plans, we only eat out once a month, groceries are minimal since we started our own garden, any extra goes into savings or house repairs as needed.
pregnantmama105
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM

we live within our means. 

alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Yes, we do.
leksismommy
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM

We live within our means , I know too many people who dont

4Poodle
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM

We do, we just moved and have to reconfigure exactly how our bills will work out, but we are very frugal where we can be. And, I have a 2nd job b/c it's fun and I love having spare money to enjoy more of life.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

We do. We are trying to save up for a hunk of land we can homestead on so. . .yep. Saving like crazy.

JustahGyrl
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

We live below our means. I just see no reason not to. We have two nice vans and a good home. We buy what we need. Sure we could have a bigger house but we just don't need it and I don't want to have more to clean. I see no reason to just waste money because we have it.

Kazoo22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Yep, same

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

We make six figures and our net worth(assets) is around 600k.  We live in a small paid off home.  We drive two older cars(not SUV, trucks, cars) we bought with cash(low mileage).  I rarely buy clothes, mostly only when my dd needs them.  We never owned  a flat screen tv and I have and old flip phone that I never turn on(except for emergencies). I have no fancy electronics, dd has a nice phone and ipad though.  We do go on vacation, but it is with money that was saved, all cash.  We have ZERO debt, if we do use the credit card is it paid off immediately. I do take dd out to eat once in a while(dh will not go, he wants to save money) but most meals are cooked from home. We do not have any extras.  My dh mentioned recently that if someone broke into our home, there is nothing fancy/up to date they  would want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured