Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They can't really do this can they....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

My best friend's father passed away a few weeks ago.  He had lung cancer that was stage 4 before they found it.  He did a round of chemo but chose after that not to treat and to live his days out with is family.  He actually paid for all 4 of his kids and their families to spend the whole month of June in a cabin before he got too bad.  He passed away at the beginning of this month and the family filed for his life insurance policy (he was 58).  He had a policy through work then a private policy.  Well I guess the family received a letter from the private policy company stating that since he did not pursue every avenue of care that it is viewed as a suicide and the company would not be paying out the death benefit.  I mean chances are he would have died anyway it was that far gone.  Although the treatments may have extended his life, it in way promised a cure.  This company can't do that can they?  Some company can't force you to have medical care just to hold off paying the a benefit can they?  Her brother who is the estate executor is planning on contacting a laywer on Monday. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustahGyrl
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM

That sounds really shaddy. I would definately speak with a lawyer.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Insurance companies look for any excuse not to pay. It would interesting to see if that held up in court.
Maisy08
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Sue the insurance and double what thy owe, you will win!!

jamamama00
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM
The company will try everything they can to get out of paying. The lawyers should handle this.
Tink0711
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I would speak to a lawyer. But after watching my dad die of cancer & knowing the hell chemo can put a person through (watching my grandfather go through it when I was a kid), I would not consider not having treatment as a suicide. Maybe I'm biased, but I honestly don't think a company can do that.
graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM
That's ridiculous.
Let lawyers battle this one out.
BeAmour
by Tonya on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Yeah, I don't know. Are they allowed to look through medical records like that, though?
TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

That's insane!  Yeah let the lawyers figure this one out.  My condolences to your friend.

firebird78
by Lilly's mom on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I agree, please get a lawyer
mom22boys333
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Ins. is a racket.....They will try to find any way to get out of paying......Call your agent (his agent) and if nothing then hire an attorney.......Thats BS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN