Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Secret family recipes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 363 Replies
6 moms liked this
What's up with not sharing them? I enjoy food and sharing it with my friends and family. If someone likes something and asks fir the recipe I happily share it, I even give helpful hints to make it turn out just right. I want everyone to enjoy a good dish and i actualy get real pleasure in knowing someone else's family is benefiting from my experience. But I have noticed some people are super territorial about secret ingredients and old family recipes and I just don't get it. What is the harm?
Do you share the love or horde recipes?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM
73 moms liked this

Because they don't want you to find out their secret is a package of mushroom gravy mix.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM
3 moms liked this
It's just something special.
We have a few recipes in my family like this in both sides.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToDarienne
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's that they think the people might take them and say they're their own? Which does happen..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
7 moms liked this
Probably. It's just weird to me, I'm not asking for your child's cord blood or anything, I just enjoyed your casserole and might like to make it sometime!

Quoting Anonymous:

Because they don't want you to find out their secret is a package of mushroom gravy mix.

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
We only pass the recipes within family. But I got the ok to give the chicken paprikash recipe to my soon to be sil
babycakesaz
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM
11 moms liked this

I agree op lol. I had a friend who made a secret family German chocolate pie and she would never share the recipe, I made the one on the back of the Bakers chocolate box and she tasted it and accused me of stealing it! Lmfao, some people. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Ours is Apple Stack Cake from the Civil War and its only passed down to family. Even then you must be blood family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM
9 moms liked this
Does it cheapen your family's legacy in some way if it was shared? Does it honestly hurt anybody if I made a batch of your cookies once a year for my kids? I'm honestly curious because it seems like a huge deal to some people.

Quoting MIA0223:

It's just something special.

We have a few recipes in my family like this in both sides.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

our secret recipe is saurekraut pierogis

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I give out recipes to anyone who asks for them UNLESS they are a secret family recipe. Those were handed down in our family for only our family members

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)