Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Secret family recipes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 363 Replies
6 moms liked this
What's up with not sharing them? I enjoy food and sharing it with my friends and family. If someone likes something and asks fir the recipe I happily share it, I even give helpful hints to make it turn out just right. I want everyone to enjoy a good dish and i actualy get real pleasure in knowing someone else's family is benefiting from my experience. But I have noticed some people are super territorial about secret ingredients and old family recipes and I just don't get it. What is the harm?
Do you share the love or horde recipes?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM
73 moms liked this

Because they don't want you to find out their secret is a package of mushroom gravy mix.

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM
3 moms liked this
It's just something special.
We have a few recipes in my family like this in both sides.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToDarienne
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's that they think the people might take them and say they're their own? Which does happen..

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
7 moms liked this
Probably. It's just weird to me, I'm not asking for your child's cord blood or anything, I just enjoyed your casserole and might like to make it sometime!

Quoting Anonymous:

Because they don't want you to find out their secret is a package of mushroom gravy mix.

dbrown1989
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
We only pass the recipes within family. But I got the ok to give the chicken paprikash recipe to my soon to be sil
babycakesaz
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM
11 moms liked this

I agree op lol. I had a friend who made a secret family German chocolate pie and she would never share the recipe, I made the one on the back of the Bakers chocolate box and she tasted it and accused me of stealing it! Lmfao, some people. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Ours is Apple Stack Cake from the Civil War and its only passed down to family. Even then you must be blood family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM
9 moms liked this
Does it cheapen your family's legacy in some way if it was shared? Does it honestly hurt anybody if I made a batch of your cookies once a year for my kids? I'm honestly curious because it seems like a huge deal to some people.

Quoting MIA0223:

It's just something special.

We have a few recipes in my family like this in both sides.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

our secret recipe is saurekraut pierogis

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I give out recipes to anyone who asks for them UNLESS they are a secret family recipe. Those were handed down in our family for only our family members

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured