Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Had enough of our nosy neighbor!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So my family moved into our house a year ago and right away we noticed the old guy who lives right next to us is always watching what everyone in the neighborhood is doing. He calls the housing authority nonstop about the stupidest stuff. He has been here for 15 years so they listen to whatever he tells them.  We were forced to get rid of our dog because he kept complaining about him barking when every single dog (including his) on this street barks daily. But he still sits on his porch daily and looks over the fence and watches everything we do on our property. The last few weeks I have seen him standing so he can actually look INTO our house when our curtains are open. I have had enough of it! I feel like can't even open my curtians because then he will stand there looking into my windows and watching my son play. Does anyone have any ideas to get him to stop?

So I talked to my hubby and told him how I caught the guy just standing there watching our son play with a toy today through the open curtain. We have decided to buy some privacy film and apply it to the three large windows on that side of the house and then call the local sheriff and the housing authority and make a complaint.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
allornone
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Yes. I had two huge windows in our old house that looked right into the living room we had people we didn't want to answer the door for and this helped. you have to get up super close face against the window to see in. It is applied inside and will not hurt your window.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would we still be able to see out and allow light in?

Quoting allornone:

They sell a film at Home Depot and lowes so he can't see in your windows.

i would wave. I would go out and ask him what he is looking at. If I had the inner strength I might even stand my ugly fat butt naked in the window. 

Go out and watch him with a lounge chair and a notebook and pretend your interested in whatever he is doing? Take pictures of him moving around his house? Or just go ask him what his problem is.

Sorry he is a pain. I hope it all works out.

skittlefart
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Start standing there and staring back at him until he stops? I have no idea.....

photo Nickysilly_zps1bdda502.jpg
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Oh okay because in NYC....the Housing Authority run and control Section 8 housing

Quoting Anonymous:

No its an ownership association. We live in the area regulated by them and we have to pay fees every year and obey their rules. They can fine people for not complying.

Quoting Sassy762:

By Housing Authority do you mean Section 8 Housing??

Quoting Anonymous:

The housing authority kept threatening to fine my landlord and so the landlord made us get rid of the dog. Like I said the old guy has been here for years so the housing authority listens to whatever he says. Our dog was inside at night.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

Unless the dog barks at ungodly hours in the middle of the night, I don't see how they can make you give up the dog. As far as he is concerned, I'd file one complaint after the other against him for everything I can find. And the next time he's looking in my windows, I'd flick him off.

TemptingFate
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Ah well, I'm vindictive. He gets my dog taken away, i'd do my damnedest to get his dog taken away as paypack.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind his dog barking. We live a rural area and almost everyone on my street has a dog. But taking pics is a good idea.

Quoting TemptingFate:

I would get pictures of him being a peeping tom. And I would call housing whatever and complain about his dog.

Lorik1969
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Taking pics is a great idea. You could also try staring him down. Stand in the window and, with your best mom "what-the-f***-do-you-think-you're-doing" face, stare him down. If all else fails, flip him off. At first I thought maybe he's just lonely and likes to watch other people, but anyone who complains that much is just a nasty old man.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind his dog barking. We live a rural area and almost everyone on my street has a dog. But taking pics is a good idea.

Quoting TemptingFate:

I would get pictures of him being a peeping tom. And I would call housing whatever and complain about his dog.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:24 AM

It wouldn't work. He has been here for almost 20 years he can do whatever he wants!

Quoting TemptingFate:

Ah well, I'm vindictive. He gets my dog taken away, i'd do my damnedest to get his dog taken away as paypack.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Could you find me a link? I can't find it for the life of me!

Quoting allornone:

Yes. I had two huge windows in our old house that looked right into the living room we had people we didn't want to answer the door for and this helped. you have to get up super close face against the window to see in. It is applied inside and will not hurt your window.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would we still be able to see out and allow light in?

Quoting allornone:

They sell a film at Home Depot and lowes so he can't see in your windows.

i would wave. I would go out and ask him what he is looking at. If I had the inner strength I might even stand my ugly fat butt naked in the window. 

Go out and watch him with a lounge chair and a notebook and pretend your interested in whatever he is doing? Take pictures of him moving around his house? Or just go ask him what his problem is.

Sorry he is a pain. I hope it all works out.

Bonnie_
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:29 AM
1 mom liked this

They make these things  called window clings  that  let light in  but  you  can't see through them.  I know  Home depot  has them.   You don't glue  them on   You just spray a little soapy water on the window  and you  place them on  . I used a shower squigee  to flatten  them.   You don't have to cover the whole window  just  up enough where he can't see in.

That is just  one of the styles.  They have different  styles and sizes  and you  can also  cut to fit.   You  can  just go  online  if you  don't care for their styles.  EBay  and Google.

As for the  looking in your  yard  you might  try some hedges...  I think this style is cute!

Here are some.  How would they  know they weren't curtains  if you got  the patterned ones?

http://www.target.com/s/decorative+window+films?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google&CPNG=home+decor_wall+ceiling+window+coverings&adgroup=window+film&LNM=Decorative%20window%20films&MT=broad&LID=25p8088674&KID=5d05f339-7f19-4769-1358-0000194f5b49

TexTornado
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Sucks.  Anytime you live by an old person, expect to be scrutinized all day, every day.  it doesn't get better.  They just sit around & watch & make phone calls.  Nosy fucks.  LOL.  God love 'em. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Do they make clear ones? I doubt the housing authority would allow the colorful ones.

Quoting Bonnie_:

They make these things  called window clings  that  let light in  but  you  can't see through them.  I know  Home depot  has them.   You don't glue  them on   You just spray a little soapy water on the window  and you  place them on  . I used a shower squigee  to flatten  them.   You don't have to cover the whole window  just  up enough where he can't see in.

That is just  one of the styles.  They have different  styles and sizes  and you  can also  cut to fit.   You  can  just go  online  if you  don't care for their styles.  EBay  and Google.

As for the  looking in your  yard  you might  try some hedges...  I think this style is cute!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)