Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Vaccinations and Outbreaks - Give me you 2 cents ;)

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM
  • 87 Replies
5 moms liked this

There is a post in this forum asking for opinions from non vaccinating moms about the outbreaks of childhood diseases popping up around the country.... I wanted to add my 2 cents ;) but I didn't want to high jack that mom's thread ( that's just rude, lol) So here goes...

Vaccinations are not meant to only prevent disease, they are meant to lessen the severity of the disease if it does happen....People forget that measles and chicken pox are actually life threatening disease  that killed a lot of people, primarily children...We forget having grown up with antibiotics and advanced medical techniques that things as simple as strep throat, an abscessed tooth, a cut that got infected....anything that you would go to the now grab a pill,slap some neosprin and a band-aid on, or get a shot to prevent/lessen could and often did kill...the number of children who died before they were 5 years old was appalling....And it wasn't that long ago...

Because of vaccinations, we don't have to worry about polio and small pox...Because of vaccinations, when a child does get the measles, it's an aggravation and not a panic for that child's life...

For those who blame vaccinations for Autism, I was vaccinated as a child and I am not Autistic...My parents were vaccinated and were not affected that way....My children were vaccinated and are Autistic, but I firmly believe that it's genetic and environmental factors...there have always been people with Autism...there have not always been vaccinations...And IF  vaccinations did cause my children to be Autistic, well, I'll take that trade off...because they aren't crippled by polio or dead of pertussis, diphtheria, measles,mumps or anything else we vaccinate against...If they step on a nail, I can get them a shot so that tetanus doesn't kill them...

Do we really, really want to go back to those days before vaccinations? Do we really want to go back to that fear and anguish? 

ETA: This isn's a debate post :) I really want to know the thoughts,opinions and beliefs of other moms out there...I will not be attacking your beliefs or trying to change your minds :) I won't be defending my own beliefs or answering attacks against them :) 

ETA 2: I though I could do the post witout commenting, but I'm seeing answers that bring questions to mind...So, asking them is for clarification on my part, not for attack or debate :)

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
housewifehell
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Do we also forget that nature created these diseases as a form of population control and the idea that children died as a result is simply evolution (the strong survive).  I dont understand why we want to push nature out of the picture and live as if nature doesn't apply to us anymore. Death is a part of life and yes that means kids die why is that such a taboo horrifying thing its the natural order of things and the more we mess up that natural order the more we play god and help to destroy the planet.

prenatalRN
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
so based on your logic we shouldn't seek out any medical help for anything and let nature take its course? No c sections, no surgery, no setting broken bones in casts?

Quoting housewifehell:Do we also forget that nature created these diseases as a form of population control and the idea that children died as a result is simply evolution (the strong survive).  I dont understand why we want to push nature out of the picture and live as if nature doesn't apply to us anymore. Death is a part of life and yes that means kids die why is that such a taboo horrifying thing its the natural order of things and the more we mess up that natural order the more we play god and help to destroy the planet.
shimmifairy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM

This is one I haven't heard before....I have some questions...I ask (respectfully)

1. At what point does medical treatmen equal playing God? You don't say, but from your post I gather you don't believe in vaccination, but do you believe in antibiotics? Intervention for broken bones, burns, etc?

2. How strongly do you apply your belief to your own children? Would you take them to the hospital if they were ill? Would you permit treatment of an illness like apendicitis that required sugery? Lukemia that required chemotherapy? 

Quoting housewifehell:

Do we also forget that nature created these diseases as a form of population control and the idea that children died as a result is simply evolution (the strong survive).  I dont understand why we want to push nature out of the picture and live as if nature doesn't apply to us anymore. Death is a part of life and yes that means kids die why is that such a taboo horrifying thing its the natural order of things and the more we mess up that natural order the more we play god and help to destroy the planet.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
We also forget how many survivors there were. Polio is so feared by people, well only 1 in 3,000 people were seriously effected from polio. That's not very many at all.
shimmifairy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

So,respectfully,  are you saying you don't believe in vaccination? If not, is it for the same reason a one of the PP's? Survival of the fittest? If not, then is it a case of taking your chances because the numbers appear to be a low risk?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

We also forget how many survivors there were. Polio is so feared by people, well only 1 in 3,000 people were seriously effected from polio. That's not very many at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Who is afraid? Sorry, I don't live my life in FEAR and anguish that my unvaccinated children may or may catch something that our modern medical advances can fix or heal.

I also don't believe in shoving anti-biotics, aspirins, ANYTHING medicinal down my kids throats at the mere sign of a problem. They have amazing bodies and great immune systems that are MADE FOR THIS KIND OF THING, if they are treated correctly anyway!

The more and more foreign things shoved into our kids the worse off it will be, for EVERYONE. We are becoming immune, vaccinations do not even STICK for the most part (hello, boosters?) and I'd prefer to keep my child healthy in the most natural way possible, by NOT giving him poisons and junk to 'prevent' something that likely will never happen.

And again. CHICKENPOX??? Oh dear science, I had chickenpox as a kid, as did all of my siblings. None of us died. None of us cared very much. Guess what, I am sure hiccups has been the cause of death for someone at one point too - are we so scared of those as well? WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

your bullshit sounds like the same old thing to me....just parroting what everyone else says without doing any actual research or thinking for yourself.  Keep quiet, you're spreading false information. here is a good example:

Quote:

Because of vaccinations, we don't have to worry about polio and small pox...Because of vaccinations, when a child does get the measles, it's an aggravation and not a panic for that child's life...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Quote:

.If they step on a nail, I can get them a shot so that tetanus doesn't kill them...

your ignorance is showing... a nail in and of itself does not convey tetanus. 
shimmifairy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

This is an attack, not a comment...please keep comments respectful :)

Quoting Anonymous:

your bullshit sounds like the same old thing to me....just parroting what everyone else says without doing any actual research or thinking for yourself.  Keep quiet, you're spreading false information. here is a good example:

Quote:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

sorry....you have a lot of learning to do

Quoting shimmifairy:

This is an attack, not a comment...please keep comments respectful :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quote:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)