Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you let a 10 year old...*vent* *Update*

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 41 Replies

monitor his own medication? 

My 10 year old is on Concerta for his ADHD and Zoloft for his  OCD. He has to take these meds every day, even when he's not in school. The Zoloft is very dangerous if you go cold turkey off of it. 

While he was in California with my exhusband, I would call my ex daily to make sure that kiddo was getting his meds. We've had problems with him getting his meds while he was there before. Every day, I get told yes. 

Well, Kiddo comes home after being in California for five weeks, with TWO FULL pill bottles. Like, more than full. They combined the two prescriptions that were sent out. There were 34 pills in one bottle and 35 in the other. 

I flipped shit and called my ex. Apparently he would tell our son to go take his medicine. My son would jiggle the pill bottles, drink some water and my ex was satisfied. He never once actually gave a pill to my son. 

So I told him that if he can't get off his lazy ass and actually give him and watch him take his pills, he is never coming out there again. (Visitation in our divorce decree is listed as "Visits  are at Mother's discrection") 

So what does the ex do... calls our son and tells our son that I said because he didn't take his medicine, he can't go to his dad's house anymore. My son then texts me and tells me he's sorry for being so stupid. 

WTF? Why on earth would he call a child and tell a child that. It was my ex's responsibility as a parent to make sure the meds were being taken. Not the 10 year old. My eye is twitching. 

Update 

My son was not taking his pills because now that he's on the right doseage and the pills are doing what they are supposed to, he feels fine and feels like he doesn't need them anymore. Which is why when he's at my house, I make sure he takes them every day. 

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Hell no. I have a 10 year old on vyvanse and abilify and i would never allow him to do it himself. Hell even my 13 try to sneak and not take her meds.
Allie_kat1
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this
At 10, the child should be trusted to take his meds, possibly with a reminder. Especially considering he went through the effort to shake the bottles and get a drink, he knew what he was doing. I think you should be trying to figure out why your child is lying and scheming to get out of taking his meds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Lol @ my eye is twitching.

I wouldn't. I mean honestly, how hard is it to watch your kid take a pill?

Oan- if dad didn't notice that he was more hyper and compulsive than usual, maybe that's a good sign? Not sure how that goes though.... maybe dad just didn't care how he was acting
CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I don't think your ex should have put that back on the kid...

But I've also noticed (generally) that dad's give the kids more leeway and responsibility than moms, and they also are a little more comfortable when the kids incur the natural consequences of their actions.  Sometimes that's a good thing - it provides balance to the "mothering" that we do.  

I still don't agree with your ex.  But if your son actually DID start taking his medication without being watched, both with you and with his dad...would it be so bad? 

Val99
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM

My son had a liver transplant as a child and needs to be on medication.  I could always trust him with taking his own medication, but all kids are different.  some are more responsible and understand the dire consequences that can occur if they don't take their medication.  I think it depends on the kid.

LadyAmaranth
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM

No I have a 9 year old on multiple meds and I make sure he takes them. I know better than to assume he took them.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM

It would depend on the 10 year old. My son I might not because he is forgetful. Your son purposely did not take his pills, and acted like he did. He would be the one I punished for it, not the dad

BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM

He doesn't want to take them because he feels fine. The meds make him feel fine. So he thinks he's better and he doesn't need them anymore. A lot like adults on meds. 

I had to sit him down and talk to him about what could happen if he stops taking his meds cold turkey again. 

Quoting Allie_kat1:

At 10, the child should be trusted to take his meds, possibly with a reminder. Especially considering he went through the effort to shake the bottles and get a drink, he knew what he was doing. I think you should be trying to figure out why your child is lying and scheming to get out of taking his meds.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM
yes my 10 year granddaughter takes her med. every morning. like one of the other mom said- he knew what he was doing. i would be finding out why
BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

He didn't take his pills because he feels better now that he's on them and they are the right dose. Kinda like a bipolar adult that feels fine on their meds, decides they don't need them and stops taking them. 

Quoting othermom:

It would depend on the 10 year old. My son I might not because he is forgetful. Your son purposely did not take his pills, and acted like he did. He would be the one I punished for it, not the dad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN