Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you let a 10 year old...*vent* *Update*

monitor his own medication? 

My 10 year old is on Concerta for his ADHD and Zoloft for his  OCD. He has to take these meds every day, even when he's not in school. The Zoloft is very dangerous if you go cold turkey off of it. 

While he was in California with my exhusband, I would call my ex daily to make sure that kiddo was getting his meds. We've had problems with him getting his meds while he was there before. Every day, I get told yes. 

Well, Kiddo comes home after being in California for five weeks, with TWO FULL pill bottles. Like, more than full. They combined the two prescriptions that were sent out. There were 34 pills in one bottle and 35 in the other. 

I flipped shit and called my ex. Apparently he would tell our son to go take his medicine. My son would jiggle the pill bottles, drink some water and my ex was satisfied. He never once actually gave a pill to my son. 

So I told him that if he can't get off his lazy ass and actually give him and watch him take his pills, he is never coming out there again. (Visitation in our divorce decree is listed as "Visits  are at Mother's discrection") 

So what does the ex do... calls our son and tells our son that I said because he didn't take his medicine, he can't go to his dad's house anymore. My son then texts me and tells me he's sorry for being so stupid. 

WTF? Why on earth would he call a child and tell a child that. It was my ex's responsibility as a parent to make sure the meds were being taken. Not the 10 year old. My eye is twitching. 

Update 

My son was not taking his pills because now that he's on the right doseage and the pills are doing what they are supposed to, he feels fine and feels like he doesn't need them anymore. Which is why when he's at my house, I make sure he takes them every day. 

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM

My dd is on daily meds. She has taken them on her own since she was 8. Every Sunday she puts them in the days if the week container and them takes them every morning. At ten if he was to,d to take his meds he should be able to do it. 

othermom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM

My brother is bipolar and has done that more than once

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

He didn't take his pills because he feels better now that he's on them and they are the right dose. Kinda like a bipolar adult that feels fine on their meds, decides they don't need them and stops taking them. 

Quoting othermom:

It would depend on the 10 year old. My son I might not because he is forgetful. Your son purposely did not take his pills, and acted like he did. He would be the one I punished for it, not the dad

BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM

He should. But he can't. He doesn't think he needs his meds because now that we've found the correct doeses, he feels great. He doesn't understand that he needs to continue taking them, no matter how much we tell him. 

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd is on daily meds. She has taken them on her own since she was 8. Every Sunday she puts them in the days if the week container and them takes them every morning. At ten if he was to,d to take his meds he should be able to do it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Your son purposely deceived him. He's 10. My 6 year old is more responsible than that. I'm your ex's eyes, he was monitoring him. He told him to do it every day and he "heard" him do it.

And normally I wouldn't condone your ex going back to your son and saying that, but I think your son needs to know the possible back lash of lying and manipulating.
Allie_kat1
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Is your son developmentally delayed because of his condition? I can tell my 4yr old to go take her meds (vitamin, probiotic and certain times of the year allergy meds) and she takes them no problem. I set out the meds as I'm getting breakfast ready because she can't yet open the child proof covers, and she usually says when she's done eating that she will go take her medicine, only about 1/10 times do I even need to remind her.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

He doesn't want to take them because he feels fine. The meds make him feel fine. So he thinks he's better and he doesn't need them anymore. A lot like adults on meds. 

I had to sit him down and talk to him about what could happen if he stops taking his meds cold turkey again. 

Quoting Allie_kat1:

At 10, the child should be trusted to take his meds, possibly with a reminder. Especially considering he went through the effort to shake the bottles and get a drink, he knew what he was doing. I think you should be trying to figure out why your child is lying and scheming to get out of taking his meds.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM
My 10 year old is responsible for taking her own meds every morning. It has never been an issue.
kamrynlily07
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Didn't he feel awful after not taking them for 5 weeks?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Depends on what the meds are for. For your kid, no.
BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Yes he did. He was having withdrawal symptoms. My ex didn't notice. 

Quoting kamrynlily07:

Didn't he feel awful after not taking them for 5 weeks?!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM

My kid?  sure.  She knows it's not an option and not up for debate.

Your kid?  obviously not.  His ass would be grass and I'd start treating him like the 2 year old he's acting like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)